7X12 enclosed trailer behind a 4-runner???

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I am looking at buying an enclosed motorcycle trailer. I am down the pace legacy because it is the only thing that will fit in my garage (low clearance). It comes in single axle 6X12 or double axle 7X12. The double axle has much more weight capacity...

I am wondering if I can get away with towing the 7X12 behind my '97 toyota 4-runner that is rated to pull 5000 pounds? (the trailer will hold 7000 pounds but I will never put that much in it...)

Anybody else towing a 7 foot wide enclosed trailer behind a similarly sized vehicle? (4-runner, toyota pickup, etc?). Is it "easily do-able" or should I stick to the 6X12 single axle unit.

thanks,
jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jeff,

I had a 95' 4 Runner, V6 3.0L, Auto, pulling a 5x10 Pace Cargo Sport. Total towing weight under 1500 lbs. On flat ground the Toyota was fine, up to 60 mph. At higher speeds the truck started to labor. Any incline at all, I would drop OD, and switch on the tow button. Inside the truck was just me and 1 dog. You will also need to wire the Toyota for electric trailer brakes. Toyota recommends trailer brakes on any trailer over 1000 lbs.

Try and test drive a trailer the size you are looking at.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
In '96 Toyota went to a 3.4 liter V-6 and up'ed the towing capacity to 5000# (from 3500# on the '95 4runner); I guess if it is a real pooch it will give me good reason to go pick up that TRD supercharger for her ;)

Good advice on the "test drive" -> I need to get my rear springs swapped out first (and could use new shocks too). Just got a "recall" from toyota - they will install stiffer rear springs.

Does anyone have experience towing a tandem axle 7' wide trailer behind a '96 or newer 4runner??? Go or no go?

thanks,
jeff

headbanger

May 7, 2000
Jeff,

We pulled a 6 x 12 (4 bikes& gear) with a Izuzu trooper (poor running) to Chadwick, MO. The thing was way under powered and the trailer would push the rearend around.
And we averaged 5.8 mpg!!!! The Tandem axel may tow better but it will be more weight also.
Good Luck!

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
One thing to keep in mind is rear end sag. My wife has a 2002 and my buddy has a 98 I think. Any way they seem to sag when some weight is added so you might want to think about some adjustable air bags for the rear. Then you can adjuste them as needed.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
That 4-runner will have a saggy butt nomatter what you do. They are nototious for it. So I would second the idea that some sort of saggy butt support device be installed for any trailer towing with that truck.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
It was probably fixed. After all the ford rollovers, toyota had a recall on '96-?? models to stiffen rear suspension (stiffer rear springs). The recall was actually due to a lawsuit in which a 2 wheel drive became unstable and crashed while towing a load - they said they decided to recall my 4WD.

My rear suspension is *so* soft - it will bottom going over a speed bump at 3 mph.

I am hoping the new rear springs that toyota will put in will make the "sag" okay for what I want to do (without adding air assist?).

thanks,
jeff

AngryCandy

Mar 2, 2001
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Does anyone know if the saggy butt syndrome was fixed in the 2003 4-Runner model line?

Smit,

I just picked up an 03 4-runner. The redesign is fantastic. It is now available with the 4.7L V8 from the Tundra/Land Cruiser/Sequoia with a new 5 speed auto, or a brand new V6 w/4-speed auto. I got the V8 and let me tell you, the power is effortless. For towing heavy load, you can get air suspenders for the rear with automatic load leveling and/or driver adjustability.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
AngryCandy -

I just test drove a 2003 4Runner Sport 4x2 with the V8 last weekend. I haven't felt that kind of power since my 1982 IROC-Z Camaro (:eek:). Very smooth and refined all the way around.

I was hoping to get the 1.9% financing that was available from Toyota according to Edmonds.com, but the dealer knew nothing about it, so I need to call TFS to get the real deal.

Top Bottom