portwolf

Jun 23, 2003
OK, so my friends riding his old CR125 its an 83... and we're just messin around in the sand pits... jumping a lil but nothing big... and he said the bike bogged down and stalled... well it wouldnt go back into neutral.... i assumed it was just skipping over it... but i couldnt get it to start with the clutch in either... finnally I pushed it to the top of a big hill and roll started it... only to find out that i wasnt in 1st or second... i believe its stuck on 3rd and 4th... i can get it to go in either 3rd or 4th gear... but not 1,2 or 5,6 Its like the shifter is stuck , or i dont know... how screwed am i... im pretty untechnical about this stuff someone wanna give advice?

EllisD

Jun 26, 2003
1983 cr 125.... wont shift to 1st, neutral, 2nd, 5th....has 3rd and 4th

:|

Ok.. so I'm riding alone and i have to down ****.. only it wont down shift... magically im STUCK in 3rd (or 4th) and just wont down shift. So I slow down and stall.... ok.. time to put it into neutral and kick it over, except it wont go into neutral.. or 1st or 2nd... What the hell is goin on? someone (preferably 10 someones) PLEASE reply and help and newbie "fellow" ridder, get back on the trails. I've had this bike for 2 weeks... and only road it 2 times.. it ran AWSOME.. and all of a sudden (without hitting anything or dumping it) it does this! Could it really be a rock in there or something. I'll wait for the replys to come. Thanks

Ellissentials
:think:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You have to split the engine cases to even find out what is wrong in the transmission. Splitting the cases is basically a complete tear-down of the engine.

A less likely, but still possible, problem might be with the ratcheting mechanism that translates single movements of the shifter shaft into rotations of the shift drum.

I'm not sure about that bike, but at a minimum it would involve pulling off the rigth side cover and maybe taking the clutch basket out to get to it.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
So, are there two different people with 83 CR125s that are stuck in 3rd and 4th, or is this two people talking about the same problem on the same bike in the same forum? Maybe we can combind this thread into one.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My guess is with that old of a bike that all of the shift forks are worn pretty badly. I have owned a few older CR's and the trannies are the weak link. I have snapped dogs off of the gears, losing gears completely, and also broken shift forks. I would tear down the motor and "mic" everything in the tranny. There is always someone selling these tranny parts on Ebay, so you might luck out and find some parts there cheap.
Good luck and keep us posted, Darrin

EllisD

Jun 26, 2003
Yeah... It's my bike.. but my friend (portwolf) posted before me...We're the only 2 around with bikes.. so when one of us doesnt have a bike it kinda sux.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
prepair to get your hands dirty and tear the case apart looking for the fork shifter fork assembly. FYI, I had to use an impact driver to get my case screwws out. I replaced them all with allen heads.
I had to do this in about '94 on my 1980 klx.... It wasn't too bad, I think i even mail ordered the shifter fork for like $30.

jbmunnoch

May 7, 2006
I am having a similar problem in my 1997 rm125. It pops out of first and then the only gear I can grab is second. it also happened on my 96 rm 125 a couple of weeks prior. two bikes, both down, woe is me

Top Bottom