Anybody know anything about a Yamaha IT175?

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
A friend bought a basket case 83 Yamaha IT175 that arrived in 5 boxes of parts, over the last couple of weekends we have managed to put it back together and get it running. My question is: Whats the word on this old enduro looking bike? History, mods, likes/dislikes, any info you have to offer. I kind of laughed about this bike when he told me about it but after taking it for a ride it seems like a really cool enduro/woods bike. It's already got a 3 gallon tank, headlight, tail-light. I think it'll really be a hoot with some suspension work and engine mods. I've always been into MX and street bikes so I know nothing about this one and I'm getting a friend into riding so any information about it please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Todd

IZ 250

Apr 30, 2006
Well its air cooled, no low end power, some mid range, and quite abit of top. The bike does not have much power a 125 will walk all over it. Very lightweight, and harsh suspension. The it 250 had much much much more power then it.

2-Stroke 175

Jul 5, 2006
Having one i know they are very reliable and should last a long time, mine was never taken care of before i got it but its still running good. As said above they have no low end at all and the suspension is also very bad. As far as modifications its nearly impossible to find new parts w/o spending a fortune but every once in a while you can find a nice pipe or somthing off ****. Also if you are buying used parts you want to make sure they are from an 82 or newer bike because the 82 and newer bikes were completly redesigned from the earlier years and have many large differences between them.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Thanks for all the info, he's still waiting for a few parts like new cables, etc. but as soon as they come in we will take it out for some trail riding.

Thanks again!
Todd

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom