87 kdx fouls plugs at an insane rate

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
i was just looking over my bike and saw that my carb boot(??? black rubber piece leading to the carb) has a bunch of tiny cracks in it. i was wondering if this could imitate a problem of my carb not being jetted correctly, but wouldn't it show a lean condition? The cracks seem like just surface cracks from the old rubber so i don't think its cracked all the way through. Can i pick this part up anywhere or do i have to order it from kawi... it is an 87

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
You should be able to oder any part you need from a dealer. Check the part number in your manual when you order it, it could have changed. If you're going to pull the carb, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the seals on it too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
This bike is an '87?

I've got 10:1 that you have a leaking crank seal. You can disregaurd all of the technical jetting and ratio advise you've gotten so far if you do have a leaking seal.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
...which will reduce the volume of tranny oil at what rate?
(commonly, 'normally', worst case, range, etc)

A bike that's leaking enough to foul the plug..that's ridden for 'a day' would have a noticeable amount of oil missing would it not?

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
where is the crank seal?? i've noticed that theres not too mcuhoil in it when i look through the little glass with the bike upright...even a few days after i fill it up. but i never see a puddle or anything under my bike from the oil. Where would it come out of?

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
You are going to have to rely on the Xsperts on where it is and how to advice on the crank seal. Read: I am still a newbe at this.

But me thinks Jaybird may have ran this rabbit in a hole.

If you are having to add oil to your tranny and your not seeing it leak out chances are it is going out the tail pipe.

Jaybird, CC or anyone, If this is the problem how can his bike be running great for a day's riding with all this excess oil?
Is it the hotter plug?
Seems like it would be running way lean. The previous owner may have compensated with richer jetting?

Goose, have you checked to see what jets were in your carb yet?

Just an inquiring mind with a ton of ????

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Cripes.

Silly...you left out the most important part of this in your original post...the answer!

Yep...appears that Jaybird got it spot on. IF you've been adding oil to the tranny, it's NOT leaking out...and the level continues to drop, there is one answer to 'where is it going'.

It's 'fouling your plug like crazy' is where it's going!!

I don't suppose the exhaust from your bike looks a bit off?

Anyway.....

Fix? Split the case, replace the seal.

For your average shadetree wrencher?

Nope.

And...(don't take this personally) if the oil disappearing act didn't tell you immediately what the problem was, then I don't see case-splitting as your forte'.

Oh...the crank seal is on the end of the crank. In this case, the RH side.

If it was the LH side, he'd be sucking air and lean would be the result.

The 'running good' part is a self descriptive term. Certainly it's not running as good as it SHOULD. Ha!!...the additional oil is leaning his A/F ratio, and as ALL kdxs (and every other 2-smoke) are jetted to rich from the gitgo...it might indeed be running real good!!

;)

The previous owner prolly got rid of it cuz he KNEW where the oil was going.... Sorry 'bout that!!

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
ohhhh boy...does it cost major $$$ to fix the problem?? if so i think i'll just spend the price on the plugs everytime i wanna ride and ride it till i won't go no more(afterall, i don't ride that much anyway)
I guess its time to start saving my cash for possibly a 2007 kdx, lol

One more thing, can the problem get worse if i don't fix it? maybe lead to my bike not starting?
Thanks alot for all the help. damn the disappearing oil!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well...the tool to split the cases (from motion pro) is about $150.

Last I looked at some service prices I saw $150 as the service charge for splitting a case. That was just the shop charge (engine out of the bike!)!!!

Can it get worse.

Sure!

Problem is NOT that just the seal is failed (prolly), but that the BEARING is failed and the excessive slop due to that failure took out the seal.

Once the thing is apart (because of the cost if you're having it done) it doesn't make sense to NOT do some other things....like crank/trans bearings and maybe even the big-end rod bearing.

If 'major $$$' is a term that applies to maybe $500 (a WAG) then major is what U got.

Then....ride WITH someone...keep the oil up....ride it 'til it croaks is indeed an option. Don't think the liklihood of the crank disintegrating and removing your foot (or some other vital body part) in the process is TOO likely.......:(

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Man oh Man, I love this part!! When C.C. gets on a roll I can just see him pacing in front of his PC saying "EURIKA!!!" Gotta love it. Good lead in Jaybird!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
All I did was confuse the issue due to some basic missed conceptions (sic) on my part.

It never occurred to me that KNOWING oil is 'disappearing' would be an UNknown....if you catch my drift.

Jaybird nailed it...I don't know what the bet was @ '10:1' (that was funny. I ASSume it was supposed to be)...but it's GOTTA be worth SOMEthin'!

...and assumptions are ALways correct.

Jaybird is to be commended.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
No commendations wanted. Just sounded like the problem to me.
Goose, if you have a garage where you can work on the beast, don't be shy....invest in Eriv Gorrs book on Maint. and purchase the parts to do the job...seal, bearings, etc. Make a grand stab at the job and you can probably get all the help you need right here at DRN. No offense fellas, but you will want to venture out of the Green Room and talk to some of the tuner types in the other forums for some top notch info on the procedure. You'll be fine.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
"You know the pilot circuit is too lean when it idles eratically or revs real high at a cold start. "

Different bike but, my bike revs really high at cold start with choke on then settles down when the choke is turned off. Could this be a lean condition, I have been playing with the jetting and believe it is set up pretty good now although this condition still exists.

IT200 for now !

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I had the same problem with the wet side crank seal on my 84 IT. $10 part
and little bit of work. Use air tool to remove nut, no need to buy the special
tool required in the manual.

Sorry if this does not apply to the KDX but this is an interesting form and I
plan to join the newer KDX world soon.

IT200 for now.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Does not apply to the kdx.

The crank seals are placed from the INside..not the OUTside.

Thus the bummer. :( ....and speshul tools.

Top Bottom