sccasey

Jan 13, 2003
anyone know if this will work? i have an 87, and need the flywheel/magneto, but have found an entire ignition system form a 91 -- wondering if anyone knows the differences -- from the pix it looks like the cdi unit has a differnet case (plastic versus metal). are the internals different? could i just hook up the 91 stator and flywheel to my 87 coil and cdi? thanks in advance. steve

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Let me start with " I'm not sure but...."

I have changed CDI's, stators and flywheels on 80 and 85 KDX and I have a '91 system. The 91 stator will not fit my 85 because of a difference in the bolting pattern (2 screws-old, 3 screws-new). My opinion is to give it a try. There is a slim but unlikely chance that there is a slight difference in the spark timing, but you can change/adjust that by rotating the stator plate. I'd put it on and kick it over. I can't imagine anything that would hurt or damage other components. If you just have a bad flywheel, I'd try just putting the 91 flywheel on your 87 stator. Kick it over with the plug out of the cylinder. If you see it spark, put the plug in and give it a go. If you don't have a spark with the plug out of the cylinder, then look for other problems. I like to change things one at a time and take it slowly.

Let us know how it goes,
Mark
KDX175
KDX200
XS850 Special

sccasey

Jan 13, 2003
mark, checked my stator and it's good -- would the 91 flywheel fit over your 85 stator? i'm going to check the parts diagrams to see if your 85 stator looks like my 87 (which also has two mounting screws)...thanks in advance.
steve
87 xr100
87 kdx200
91 911 C2
89 325ic

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom