Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
I am going to look at a '91 kdx200 on thursday. They are asking $800.00. Does this sound fair if the bike is infact in good running condition? Is there anything that I should look for that could save me some headaches? I am told that it starts on first or second kick and runs very well. The owner tells me that he has the headlight assy. but it is not attached and that the brake light is not on the bike either. The chain/sprockets are decent, front tire new, back at 50% wear, may need back brake pads. They say it does not leak coolant or foul plugs. Apparently the plastics are very rough and the seat is ripped.

XE326

Jan 25, 2002
I paid 1200 for my 91 KDX200, if the bike runs good then sounds like a pretty good deal, i'd ask when the last time a top end was done, when the bearings were last lubed, if he's messed around with the jetting, stuff like that, if the plastics are kinda rough then he may have dumped it many times but that's not a huge concern, just look at the frame to see if there is any dents or big marks, the seat, well mine is starting to rip too right up by the gas tank, no biggie, and yea mine starts first or second kick, if his does too then that's a good sign, as for the coolant mine no longer leaks since i removed the rear resovior, lol, if you do get the bike throw a pipe on it, remove the air box cover and put in some boysen power reeds, this makes a hell of a difference, good luck

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First thing on any used dirt bike is to expect to buy new front and rear wheel bearings. Most likely the headstem bearings are neglected and will need to be replaced also.

now the rear end, check the lower shock bushing! If there is any play, the unitrak arm there is about $100 then add about $170 for the rest of the rear end bearings you will need. As most likely if one is bad, all are bad. So have someone lift the bike off the ground as you inspect all the bearing points in the linkage. Also check the swingarm for side to side play.

Other than that, expect to maybe do a top end build here in a few months of riding if the top end is still good. you may also need to do a clutch job, reeds, forks and some cables may need replaced.

Last sticky thing about MX front and rear calipers, see if the pins are stuck in them. If they are, check the pads. If the pins get stuck, some people do not replace the pads and thus chew rotors and other parts.

Hope that helps a little

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
2002 N.A.D.A. "Blue Book" average retail price is $705.00. If the bike isn't trashed I'd say it's a deal but if the poor stump jumper is trashed offer about $450-500 just for a works bike depending on how bad it is. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom