Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
My 91 KDX 250 starts first kick, and has good compression. When it first catches on a cold start (choke on), it revs like the throttle is pinned till I turn the choke off (not good). It also smokes quite a bit. My fuel is mixed 32:1 with Kawasaki 2-cycle oil. My silencer needs repacked (oil soaked). Any advice that I could get on taking care of the cold start screaming/smoking would be greatly appreciated.

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
I haven't gotten into re-jetting it yet, but I did try adjusting the air screw. Air cleaner is new, repacking the silencer tomorrow. It runs well once it gets past the off-idle stammering. Thanks for your advice.

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
One and a half counterclockwise. It seems to have helped lean it out some. My son and I took a ride this evening, and the KDX was running better. I may eventually ship my carb to RB Designs (sp?) for a rebuild/rejet.

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks for the advice, Jason. I took the airscrew out just a little past 1 1/2 turns, repacked the silencer, and went to a B8ES plug. Bike is running great from idle to the rear-tire-breaking-loose-at-WOT-in-4th-gear-territory. Points to the need for a new rear tire. :ride:

Top Bottom