motomick

Apr 16, 2001
Hello, I am hoping someone has some knowledge on this topic wich is:
I just bought a 95 DR350s(off road). When I test rode it I noticed how easy it was to start... Meaning I didn't need to use the decompression lever. My first thought was oh no this is lacking compression, but when I rode it, it felt extremely powerfull. So my question is. Do the newer DR's have a kick start decompression? or do they run an improved kick ratio that would make starting easier or did I just purchase a wore out machine? the reason I ask is because My Brothers 92 DR350 is nearly impossible to start without the use of the Decompression lever. Anyone familier with this?

------------------

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
on my 90 you can skip the decompression relaease, but it is about like kicking a 500 two stroke. put a compression gauge on it. it says in suzuki manuals that the decompression release is to be used on rider preferrence, but it is just a good idea to use them. drs are simple to rebuild and relatively cheap so even it if it is a little worn out it is simple to fix. i rebuilt mine and it runs like a top. It ieven smoked a friend of mines 350. anyway, put a tester on it and find out.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
I have a 1990 DR350s and it starts VERY easy with the decompression lever pulled even after it is dumped. My bike is extremely difficult to kick with out the lever pulled. Check out http://www.maximum-suzuki.com, we will be happy to pass on any information that we can.

------------------

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I can get mine started with out it, but it realy wears your leg out. Especialy if it is cold and the first strart of the morning. After that I do not have to use it at all. Even after a dump. It usually starts on the frist or second try after I dump it as well. sgoeb13 beat me to it. That site is realy handy if you have a DR. Great group of guys. Not to say that these guys are bad, cuz there are a great bunch here too.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i have a 91 dr-350 and it is nearly impossable to start w/out the de-compression lever. ktm is correct that the manual does state it is optional if u use it or not but recommends u do, but he failed to mention that the dr 350 he waxed was mine and was about blown up at the time he raced it :p

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
dan, jason stop arguing, you guys know who's bike is the best around.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (big bore kit, A-Loop suspension, FMF pipe)

Josh Cook

Oct 6, 2000
The manual decomp. levers are not needed on the 94 and newer models. You really should not have to kick them very hard to start..

my 94' was a breeze.. my wife could start it 1st kick every time.

------------------

Apr 20, 2001
Nice... thats good to know. I felt it was a strong motor but was mystified by the fact that I can start it so easilly. Easier then a new YZ 250. I am only 125lbs so when I can start a bike without breaking a sweat I worry. :)

Thanks for all the info guys!

------------------

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom