ray004

May 1, 2001
Can anyone here give an idea of what went wrong.On Sunday while riding the bike jumped out gear when I put it back in gear it jumped out again.Istoped immediately and then tried to put it in gear but it jumped out while standing still.It seemed to me that the only gear it would hold was 3rd and I managed to ride back slowly to my truck.Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ray

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
urrrg, don't like the sound of that?!
I would suspect the shifter drum/spring. something similar happened to my old '88 KDX and it turned out to be the spring that had snapped. At least it's easy to get to, being under the clutch side cover.

good luck with it!

ray004

May 1, 2001
Andrew
Where is this spring.Ihad the cltch side cover of and only saw the clutch housing.The shift lever is clear of the frame
Thanks
Ray

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
To see the spring and shifter mechanism you need to take off the clutch. Since you have the right sidecover off, be sure to check to see that your KIPS advancer shaft pin has not snapped off. These things have been known to break and then find their way into the tranny and cause shifting problems (or worse!).

Top Bottom