NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I posted this on Thumpertalk.com as well. Not sure if it belongs here or in the suspension forum.

I need help/advice/words of wisdom on what to do with my '99 WR400. I ride Northern Ca - Middle Creek/Stonyford/Downieville/Elkins Flat etc - no MX, no jumping (over 500lbs of combined bike/rider hitting the ground is NOT a pretty picture...). The only mods to my suspension are .48 kg fork springs and a 5.6kg shock spring - selected using RaceTechs webpage. I weigh 250lbs w/o riding gear. I increased the rebound damping on both ends two clicks from stock to counteract the higher spring rate.
My problem? The rocks/roots are killing me. Either I truly suck (can't be that can it?) or my bike needs serious help. I feel like I get bounced off the rocks like a pinball. I rode Dave Wood's class at Downieville two weekends ago and I couldn't hold a line through the boulder fields if my life depended on it. I watched Dave ride up a section on his '02 CR250 like it was a paved parking lot - I on the other hand did my best impression of Donald Duck. This weekend I rode the Nevada County Woods Riders dual sport at Downieville, backed my compression clickers out all the way and felt pretty much the same. I swear my wife's XR250 handles the rocks much better - we bought it used so I have no idea what was done the suspension.

I've read James Dean's posts about the forks and I can do that kind of stuff myself (not sure if I want to or not) but what about the shock? Can you guys explain/expand on what to do and WHY to do it?

Has anybody been able to make the stock '99 valving work in the woods?

I want suspension that redefines plush

Brian

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Brian,
Yes it can be done. Rider ablity plays a roll in a bikes aparent performance but the major problem your encountering is that you have too much highspeed compression and no amount of clicker changes is going to make it work really well.

Regards,
Jer

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Jeremy,
Is there a source that explains the inner workings of forks (& shock) on my bike? I've seen posts about eliminating the mid valve vs retaining them.

Brian

Top Bottom