teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Ok here goes:

My venerable old 1990 KDX-200 has been retired from racing. I'm planning on fixing it up for trail maintennace work.

The bike has every mod that could be done to a KDX (reeds, jetting, sprockets, pipe, etc.) I would like to know if there is a point to boring out the bike to a 220cc? The reason is that my friend suggested that it would make better power down low and it would also be eligible for racing in the open class where I now race my DRZ-400E. I just wanted to throw this question out to all the experts out there.

Mike / Team Grizzly Racing

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Talk to eric gorr. He has a big bore kit for LATER bikes...don't know about a '90.

Point is, for $400 you get not only a bore job, piston, rings, gaskets and such...but also a porting job of any flavor you want..bottom, moh-better-everywhere, mid-top.

Click on 'forward motion' on the left...ask him.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
La Sleeve has a 240cc kit that includes a new sleeve, and they can install the sleeve in your cylinder.

There are a few members around here that have them. Sounds like the ultimate sleeper to me!

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
My 1989 200 runs a 240 kit and I must say it runs fantastic now.
There is a lot more involved than just slapping in a kit.
ie jetting , bottom end rebuild and balancing to take the extra weight,
head machining,porting.......etc.
Once you have it all "happy" yes it is fantastic.
Watch the forged wiseco pistons in the sleeve.A sleeve doesn't transmit heat as good
as plated bores thus correct tolerances and running in is a must.
If I was to do it again I would look at a bore then plate not the sleeve.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Eric Gorr offers a 225 kit. You'll get head mods, cylinder bore and replating, piston kit and gaskets for a really reasonable price. I've rode 95+ KDXs with the kit and they produce very nice, strong woods power. If you are looking to breathe new life into your KDX I'd say it would be money well spent.

I hear a lot of love/hate feedback on the 240 kit. Extra vibration with a flatter top end in trade for more bottom/mid seems to be a common theme.

David

Top Bottom