SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm actually thinking of possibly getting a KTM200M/XC or E/XC or 125E/XC or a GasGas 200. What would be the best bike coming off an XR200R? It would be older, as I don't have a lot of money. I need a bike with good gas mileage, light and has good lowend. It must also be QUIET. Any suggestions?

B

biglou

Just my personal opinion, but I think the kTm 200's are great bikes. Light and plenty powerful. Great low end, too, for a 2-stroke.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i came from a '90 Dr-350, to my 2002 KTM 2002 E/XC and i think the transition was really easy, considering the 200 has a buncha low end, and that is where i love to ride my bikes. the 200 is just like riding a 4-stroke, only u need to mix gas, and no valves to adj. ;) . but if low end is what u want from a 2-stroke then i would try a 200 e/xc

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'll have to see. I can't afford one now and I'm off to university in another year, so it might have to wait. I really like the looks of the KTM. I have to stay 200cc or below, because otherwise I would have to race against the big bikes (250s, 450s). I'm gonna start checking around, maybe I'll luck out. One other question, how's the gas mileage? I need to be able to go around 100kms to a tank of gas.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i don't know KM's but my bike in full on race mode will get about 35 miles to a tank and just play riding i am use i could go 50 or more miles to a tank

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i have heard that on a full racing season that you can go a full year w/out a top end rebulid. just playin around u could probably put it off even further.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
OK, also, will this bike be okay for a novice rider on really tight, steep and gnasty trails? My XR is great for just putting up steep hills, making them effortless, will the KTM be similar? Thanks.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I think it will. I made the switch from an XR to a CR, and it's been easy. There are no hills that are more difficult for me to do on the CR, and if what I've heard about the 200 torque-wise, they should be twice as easy on that bike as on mine. BTW, I'm not an expert to any degree. My last race I got 42/57 in 200C. Just my opinion

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I was 15/20 in my last (first) race. I won't be able to afford a KTM until I've finished school, unless I find an amazing deal. I still owe my parents $800 for my XR, but I definitely want to get a KTM for racing. I hope to get a KTM200E/XC for racing and serious riding, but have an XR(200 until I'm rich and can afford a 250) for play riding and going on long trail rides with my dad. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom