fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
i see that every body takes off there air box lid . on my 2002 kdx 200 there is a box with wires comming out of it where does every body recolate the small box also wouldnt this make my bike run leaner oops what is that small box .thanks for the help . this is a great site with iv gotten some real good advice... fast 200

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not everybody. Some (me) dislike intently the noise you get (HONK HONK) every time you flick it. 'Sides you have to relocate the ignitor (the box). You can either ty-wrap that somewheres, or drill/tap a hole.

Some just remove the rear part, leaving the ignitor mount spot in tact.

Some (me) drill 1/2 dz. or so 1/2" holes in the rear portion (the raised part). That will keep large bodied detritus out of the box, too.

Yes, it will make it run leaner. Unless your bike is spot on already, I wouldn't worry about it. Most bikes are too rich in the first place. Certainly if your bike is in stock trim jet-wise, it's WAY too rich. Don't worry about the airbox mod making it too lean.
***edit*** The regulator of course is the 2-wire one, the igniter the 5-wire.

Last edited:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Take off the lid and you'll find out. It's the sound of the air being pulled through the airbox when you open the trottle. Sounds like someone killing a duck in there.

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
Actually, you can relocate the igniter next to the regulator using the other threaded hole on the frame next to the regulator. Simply loosen the wiring from the frame, turn the igniter upside down, and mount it from the underside of the crossbar that the regulator is bolted to. You can reuse the screw that was holding it onto the box lid.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
well thanks for the info i took the lide off wow what a big diffrence thanks for the help.. bye the way the honk noise is not to bad lol

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
canyncarvr, you're not kidding about the honk. I've ridden several KDXs without lids and maybe it's displacement, but seems like the 220s are a bit louder without them. Anywho, the 220 made such a duck honk that I'd be afraid to ride it around my Lab, 'course that could be a bonus maybe he could come and fetch me when I crash and burn :)

'01 KDX200-Renthal Bars, IMS foot pegs, Mayer skid plate, stock pipe not dented bad enough for wife to authorize replacement....need to work on that one....
"STRIKE!"

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
What exactly does the air box lid look like? I just bought a '93 200 and I think it's already been removed. When you take the seat off is there supposed to be a lid covering the whole airbox under the seat? Under my seat I can immediately see the air cleaner.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
fuzzy:
Sounds like yours is already gone.

Didn't the eagles make a song about your airbox lid??

Yes, there is a cover over the box that would cover the filter completely.

You might check where your spark-box is, then. It had to be relocated when the lid was removed. Make sure it's in a secure location, not dangling with no support. Make sure the wiring to it is OK...not crimped, stretched or being constantly wiggled.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Thanks guys. I figured this was the case. The guy I bought it from didn't work on the bike. He had a friend who did the work for him and they all rode KDX's. I did take a look at the CDI box the 1st time I took the seat off. It's right under the ole jewels tied down nice and neatly. I thought it was in that location form the factory, but was suspicious of the fastening hardware(zip-ties). :P This is my 1st KDX and I just wasn't sure what I was looking at.

The jetting on this thing was WAY off though--165 main jet! It was a dog, but has come to life with some sense put into the carb. Still waiting for the delivery man on what I think will be the right needle to polish off the jetting....LOVE this bike.

Thx, again. I'm sure I'll be around this group often--I'm glad I found it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom