MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I know this was a thread no too long ago. My airbox does have the snorkle removed and a larger hole cut open.

Why not just remove the entire top ? I've relocated the igniter and mounted it to the side.

I know on some of the models folks had talked about relocating this stuff was a pain. It seemed pretty simple to me.

What am I missing ? (knowing I might have to re-jet after this).

-MD

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Like many others in here, I took mine off completely, did NOT rejet my stock bike (except for Renthal bars), and it works fine. I was bombing puddles 20 yards long and 2 feet deep, muddin, etc and the bike worked fine. Thinking about a Rev pipe though. Wanna loft the front end easier in 3rd and 4th.

seeya

JAY ALLEN

Oct 4, 1999
Just remove it it works just as well and its not that hard to relocate the black box. I attached mine to the side of the breather box and has work great .Also if you sell your bike you have the origianl equipment for the customer . see ya

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by 88RM250

What am I missing ? (knowing I might have to re-jet after this).

-MD
Nothing. It is simple. I think some people like to cut holes and keep the top on to keep some dirt and water out. I just took my top off zip tied the box to the frame and made a rubber flap up by the tank (KX style) to keep any splash from the front wheel out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Removing it works fine...if you don't mind the noise.

I didn't care for it...which is why I just drilled the holes.

In answer to your question though..I don't think you missed anything.

HONK... HONK... HONK... :(

KDX Lover

Jun 25, 2001
Airbox Lid????

Yes its true, The airbox lid makes a great frisby. Also that noise makes the bike sound more like a motorcycle instead of a moped! But thats just my opinion. Oh yea about water getting in the airbox, unless your trying to use your bike as a jet ski, i don't think you'll have any problems!!!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Wh00t...

Tossed that lid, and after riding, dropped the main jet from a 152 to a 150. Rode all day in Wayne National forest. Lots of low end bogging stuff cause of the mud. Didn't foul a single plug. Whoot !

BTW if you are interested, I've posted some pics of the ride and a short hill climb movie. We experimented with a hemet cam. Using our family camcorder duct-taped to my helmet :)

It was aimed a little low, and now I know where it needs to be for the next ride.

Trip to Wayne National Forest in Ohio

KDX Lover

Jun 25, 2001
No skills, No problem

Actually relocating the cdi is pretty simple. I didn't know where to put it exactly either(since the wires are pretty short), however I found just drilling a small hole in the airbox itself and puting a screw and nut through it to hold it up works great. Preferably a nut with a nylon insert to keep it from backing out during vibration. I have mine mounted toward the top of the box near the left hand side. I have even heard of people just drilling a hole and using a a zip tie to hold it on. Shoot if you find double sided tape strong enough, use that. I do know one thing though, taking that dumb lid off is one of the best things to do, since the whole idea of a lid and snorkel just plain sounds dumb. It also makes the bike sound better.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm trying to keep my KDX200 as quiet as possible (it does have an FMF pipe & silencer). Can I maintain HP & get quieter if I re-install airbox lid with no snorkle & some 1" diameter holes?

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
As far as I can tell the lack of an airbox lid has no effect on the sound of the exaust. It just sounds throatier as it sucks more air :)

I would doubt that putting the lid on, removing the snorkle and adding holes (assuming large ones) would really quite it that much.

It sounds worse to you because you are sitting on it. Ask the guys you ride with I doubt the really hear that big of a difference.

-MD

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
I just removed mine today...Didn't have a chance to really ride it much...But I liked the sound..Thanks to all for the help and advice!

Top Bottom