MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Hey guys,
I pulled my clutch apart today to check the plates. Well, thier worn, really really worn. about .25 mm of meat on the EBC friction plates. The basket is also a little bit notched. Not a good day. How deep is too deep for these notches to be filed down? Do I need to remove the basket to do this? If so how difficult is it? Im on a low budget. In my manual it says to stake the clutch hub nut when reinstalling the clutch. What does this mean? Please help me!

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You don't have to remove the basket to file out the notches. However ,you need to be careful that metal shavings don't drop down in the bottom.
Make a plastic shiield out of a plastic jug and push that in behind the basket before you start filing. Flush it out with brake cleaner afterwards.
You'll notice there is a washer behind the clutch nut that is flattened over.
That is "staking".

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
recomended is too buy a new washer, they are cheap. I have used the washer more than once with no problems but do not use the same area that is bent twice bend a new area each time. Basicly speaking you WILL have to buy a new washer every three times since the folds will start overlapping each other.

I would recomend removing the basket to file just because it is a lot easier to draw the file and keep the bike clean.

Top Bottom