ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
is there a way to adjust the spring on the shock without removing it? i can get a allen head in there...but how in the world can you loosen that thing? there's no room for your hand...my sag is 5 inches, 2 inches static...i don't do any mx, can i get away with 5 inches of sag?

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
to adjust the WP shocks you've got to loosen an allen that holds the adjuster ring in place. it's situated toward the backside of the shock and is a bear to get an allen down into with enough room to turn it.

i wasn't sure if adjusting the compression would compensate for the extra inch of sag?

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
makes sense...IF i was able to adjust the thing. i can't imagine anyone having a 6mm. allen that's 10 inches long...but that would be perfect!

you're right though...i shouldn't mess around with the compression settings until i've got the sag squared away.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Can you put an allen wrench in a pair of vise grips?? Probably to tight for that, huh? There'll be someone come along that knows.

Down Under

Mar 21, 2001
You need to remove the whole assembly to adjust the spring pre load. Once out you can loosen the allen screw and adjust the collar. Your static sag should be around 35mm (1.5 inches) and the rider sag 90 to 110mm (around 4 inches) depending on use. If the rider sag is less than this you need a softer spring. If the rider sag is more than this you need a harder spring. Hope this helps.

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
that's funny...i tried that exact thing. i just found instructions Strick had put out there doing a search...i guess if you're lucky enough to get at the allen, great, but if you're not, you've gotta remove the shock and reposition the collar lock...so i'm off to take out the shock...

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
take your sub frame off and when you adjust your sag
always stop the allen bolt to where you can get to it with the sub frame
on you can turn the ring with a big flat screw driver and a rubber
mallet

nostones

Jan 18, 2002
Be careful if you use the screwdriver/mallet method to adjust the collar. The nut has been know to break if you hit it too hard or if it is overtightened on th spring. If this happens, you get to buy a $50.00 nut and then rebuild the shock as you can't take off the collar without removing the lower end completely.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by ScottKDX
that's funny...i tried that exact thing. i just found instructions Strick had put out there doing a search...i guess if you're lucky enough to get at the allen, great, but if you're not, you've gotta remove the shock and reposition the collar lock...so i'm off to take out the shock...

Actually justq nailed the method I use if the allen head is facing you. I use a long (Craftsman) Allen wrench and a pair of pliers (or vise grips), and break it loose. Make sure not to over tighten that allen when you are done. The collar splits easy, and they are $80 to replace.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by agitt73
to take the shock off you would have to remove the subframe
or swingarm to get it out

You don't even need to remove the mud flap to get the shock out. Once you can get to the upper bolt, and the bottom is loose, the shock comes right out.

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
I put my new MX Tech 8.0 spring on last night, peace of cake:) undo the shock bolts and the shock will come right out the back, I did it about five times while trying to get the sag right, Keith.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
this is easier than it might seem. if you don't want to buy a long-reach allen key, get a set of allen head sockets, put on an extension, loosen the collar bolt, tap the ring with a punch & hammer (gently), get it where you want it, then snug the bolt VERY GENTLY. if you want to set the preload with less than a full turn, it may make it impossible to get to the collar bolt. then you take out the bolts at the top & bottom of the shock (no challenge at all), & pull the shock out past the air box & mudflap & there you go. i just put a new spring on mine yesterday, took only a few minutes. it's the easiest shock maintenance in all of dirtbikedom. i like a little less sag than suggested, but you can experiment around all you like, it's so easy.

Top Bottom