another "what do I need" thread

Kraw

Feb 3, 2004
yeah, I read through alot of the older threads :D

ok, I'm 29, 6' and 240lbs. I have always ridden ATV's (www.krawdaddy.net/atv), but have experience on street bikes.

Anyways, I HAD a 2003 Raptor but some scum stole it recently. I do have a 2002 Grizzly 660 with all kinds of junk on it. The Grizz was for my wife and for me during hunting season. The Rappy was just a toy. We are a member of the South Louisana Trailblazers so we do alot of trail riding. I'm thinking that instead of buying a new Rappy, I may just get 2 used dirt bikes.

I loved the power of the rappy and was considering a YZ250 or YZ426/450F but after reading here, seems that the YZ250F is a great bike too! Would it have enough power to haul my big ass around? It'll be mostly trail riding with alot of open area blasts! I guess I would prefer the 426/450, but would I be able to handle it, seeing as how I'm an inexperienced dirt bike rider?

My wife is about 5'3" and 125 (I guess, she won't tell me) She, like me, started on ATC's etc. I was looking at the TT-R225. It seems like it has alot of good features for her. Smaller wheels and lower seat height. Are they good bikes? Powerful? Manageable for her (used to riding a Grizzly 660 with CVT tranny). She loved riding my Rappy around but just putt-putted around on it. She understands a clutch (her Mustang is a 5spd as is my TJ)

How are maintenace on these bikes?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my dribble.

and yes, I bleed Yamaha Blue :thumb:

Kraw

Feb 3, 2004
well, after reading more, seems the TT-R225 is the suck when it comes to bikes :(

Don't think I can convince her to ride a Honda :(

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
With your size a XR400, no older than 00, or a kdx220. Both of those bikes are great entree level machines and are fairly reasonable priced. If you have deeper pockets a ktm400's are really great bikes just make sure it has been well maintained. For your wife TTR125L she''' love that bike and the resale is great when she wants to step up.

Kraw

Feb 3, 2004
what about the WR250F? It should be able to haul me around too right? (been reading alot tonight ;))

I'll check out the XR400 also.

Will the TTR125L be powerful enough? After much reading, seems alot of people are talking good about the CBR230F. I guess there is a pretty big difference in the 2 :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
the crf230 is a good bike. I think there's better prices on used ttr125's now though. wr's are great bikes it just has to be ridden on the pipe more than the 400.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom