Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Since I can't ride as much now as during spring/summer/fall, I have to do something to keep me sane. So, I dust off the accoustic and electric guitars and record/write some new music.

So far the song is only about 2 minutes long (no vocals yet) but it should be at around 5 minutes when completed.

I uploaded a short 48 second clip of my accoustic and electric solos. I haven't done any post-processing yet, so the sound of the guitars is as they sound when recorded. The drum track is my drum machine.

http://www.foolshosting.com/new_lead.mp3

LMK what you think. :)

My goal in music is to write/produce prOn sound tracks. :laugh:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
How did you play all three guitars at the same time? :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff, I like it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Very cool. Best of luck. I've been in a few bands, recorded an EP back in '89. I kind of lost interest, too much work, not enough money to offset keeping up with technology. :bang: Sure do miss playing though.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks all.

Multitrack recording (Cool Edit Pro in my case) is how you play three guitars at once. ;)

Rooster - I've done the band thing in the past as well. I got sick of the ego's of musicians and the lack of making money doing it. I am content on just "jamming" with friends and doing recordings by myself (then I only have 1 ego to deal with). :)

Parties, playing at home, and playing at some local bars will be the extent of my non-cash flow hobby. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Ego's, yeah, that was something else too. Never could understand that crap.

I would love to have the time and money to start up a "hobby" band again, I think it would be a blast.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Long time bass player here. Totally quit playing about 3 years ago after wife was temporarily disabled in an MVA. I'd love to play in a tight 3-piece blues band on weekends again- someday. Right now I have other priorities.

I thought your track was pretty freakin awesome BTW. :cool:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I listened to this 5 or 6 times...I really like it.

I particularly like the overdubbed acoustic riff that trails off in the last 5 seconds...if you could do it a couple of more times, it'll have a great cascading effect. In your longer song version, I'd love to hear an electric guitar break with a traditional strat/tele tone...maybe some slide thrown in, if that's in your bag of tricks.

I can truly see this as soundtrack music for a gritty southwestern setting. A bit of tremolo effect overdubbed on the rhythm guitar, and you've got a really edgy track. Post back if/when you get closer to finishing it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Good stuff, kinda like THe Eagles meets Alice In Chains.. Keep at it!! :cool:

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
Sounds really good. Personally they dont come more tone deaf than me. My borther plays drums in a punk band. When ever he tries ou my two wheeled baby's he always ends up on the ground.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

My computer won't let me access your soundclip, but if you want some more opinions I suggest that you join the cyberfret forums. They are a guitar and bass forum, with lots of great people on them. If you want to register go to www.cyberfret.com click on forums and then you can sign up for the forums from there.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I wonder why it won't let you access? It must be a work computer behind a firewall. I checked out the cyberfret forums, but they are so freaking slow it takes 30 seconds to load a post. :(

I have plenty of other music sites I frequent, so I am not without those. I just posted my song clip on DRN since I spend more time on this site than most. I would rather ride my YZ than play, but yesterday was the last ride of the season for me. :( So it looks like more playing and recording until the trails open back up in the spring.

Thanks for all the comments on what I have so far. I am planning on working on it this week to get it better mixed and closer to completion.

Noone has asked, but I thought I would mention my equipment that I use:
Accoustic: Martin D15
Electric: Ibanez S540LTD Custom
Amp:Line6 Spider 2x10 digital
Drum machine: Zoom rythmtrack 234

ART StudioV3 mic preamp - AWESOME piece of equipment for mic'd recording
Shure SM57 mic

I use Cool Edit Pro for recording onto my PC.

If you live in the SE Ohio area, I have a Peavy half stack(VTM60 w/ 4x12 cabinet) for sale, and an ART SGE 2000 tube preamp effects processor for sale.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

My computer is really slow ( dial-up....ughhhhhh). For some reason it just won't let me download a lot of stuff off of other websites....I think it might be all of the security stuff my parents have put on the computer. I've never had a problem with the cyberfret forums being really slow, however slow to me is anything over 50 seconds...haha....as I said my computer sucks. Anyway, you said you have a Line 6 Spider....how do you like it? I was thinking about getting a Spider II 112 but it is a lot of money, that I don't have to spend...lol, so instead I am getting a Vamp2 for Christmas ( hopefully that works out....I've heard it's pretty good). If you have any pictures to post of your equipment I'd really like to see it.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I know the feeling. Right now I am on 2 way satellite. I get about 120k downloads, but only get about 8-13k uploads. Still better than 5k and lower that I get with my backup dialup connection. The ping is so bad you can't play games on satellite though.

I just sent back a V-amp2 this week. I thought I would see how it worked for recording. I wasn't happy with it. Most people love the v-amp2, but it wasn't for me. It's not very good for live performances since it has a .5 sec delay between presets. It's also made of plastic, so it's not very durable. For $100, it's not a bad piece of equipment. I just didn't like the sound quality over my mic preamp and mic for recording. But, all you need is headphones or a stereo to hook up to it, and it's got allot of bang for the buck. I did like some heavy sounds, but there was way too much line noise when using high amounts of gain that the noise gate couldn't tackle.

I love my Line6. No need for an effects processor for most sounds. It's so much easier just lugging an amp and guitar without all the extra crap when playing somewhere. I think it was around $400 + $50 for the foot control. Without doubt, the best amp I have ever owned. It's not as loud as some amps (it doesn't like going past half volume without losing sound quality), but since I don't play that loud anymore, it doesn't matter. :) It's perfect for recording.

I took some pics of my equipment(stuff is dirty I know):

Electric:
http://www.someonesimages.com/gallery/Misc_Pics/ibanez_s540ltd

Accoustic:
http://www.someonesimages.com/gallery/Misc_Pics/martin_d15_001

Amp:
http://www.someonesimages.com/gallery/Misc_Pics/line6_spider_2x10

Mic & preamp:
http://www.someonesimages.com/gallery/Misc_Pics/mic_preamp

Here's my the computer I do all the recording on(yes, very nasty carpet) ;) :
http://www.someonesimages.com/gallery/Misc_Pics/computer_desk

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
That is MINT. I really like it.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Hmm you didn't like the Vamp2? Have you ever tried a POD? They are supposed to be awesome and way more durable ....just out of my price range...which is why I am looking at the Vamp2. I'm not recording anything or doing any live gigs, I'm mainly getting it so I can have a half decent mutifx unit, that can be run with headphones. I asked for it for Christmas, so I hope I am not dissappointed with it if I get it.

Oh, and that's a very nice setup that you have!

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
I'm admitting to myself this week that I'm a 'coulda' been drummer. I've recored a few EPs and played a lot of gigs, but the time has come to move on. It's tough admitting to yourself that 15 years of toil, love and obsession amounted to very little in the end, but also liberating to not feel that I have to work at this music thing anymore.

Actually, you might want to have a listen to the track 'Faceless' here www.cdbaby.com/sixbelowzero.
It should get you pumped for a ride.

I'm selling these babies to finance a yz426f this week.

http://cgi.****.com.au/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3767402050&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.****.com.au/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3767718313&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

**** = e b a y

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
Is Wayne Natl Forest near Waverly?

On the music front, it is really good and close to virtuoso talent. BUT, I would point out that the transitions are too square, try to smooth them out.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Waverly is about 70 miles from Nelsonville (WNF).

I am still out of shape with my guitars. I haven't played seriously for about 5-6 years. I gave it up for dirtbikes. :) But, I am slowly re-gaining my old skills. I understand what you're saying, and agree. However, by the time I am done with this song, it should take shape. It's all about having something to occupy my time during the off season, and hopefully I will keep playing.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I just bit the bullet and bought a Line 6 Vetta II combo amp(incredible amp!), a Mackie Mixer, and an Alesis compressor/limiter. This should really improve recording quality.

Now I have two amps for sale, and a processor:
Peavey VTM 60 half stack (4x12 celestions) works great, but is due for new tubes and pots cleaned $250
Line 6 Spider 2x10 and foot pedals- perfect condition $300
ART SGX 2000 tube pre-amp rack mount effects processor with pedals -$150

If you live in the SE Ohio area, lemme know if you're interested.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I used to live in Chillicothe and grew up racing in District 11, that's why I ask. I hope the Alesis works for you, I have a QS7 synth and I think it's dying. Post an update to your song, I want to hear more if you get a chance??

I enjoyed your pictures and movies, those cats are funny. And you have inspired me to get a helmet cam. I want to see the action again besides in my head because sometimes it ain't there!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Ah, Chillicothe isn't too far from here. I haven't got much more done on the song yet. I am not satisfied with the quality of recording I am getting right now.

Helmet cams are great. I've had one for the last couple years and have a ton of video of us riding the trails. The quality of video on my site is pretty crappy, but the original is awesome (except for the audio).

Let me know if you have any questions about a helmet cam setup.

My cats, well, they're different, to say the least. I rescued them from WI and require much attention or they tear the wallpaper off the walls in their room. Took me 2 months for them to trust me enough to pet them, but now they're huge babies. The brown one weighs in at about 25lbs right now, and he eats more than I do, but the lighter black one kicks his ass.

You gotta love the weather in SC tho! It sucks up here. :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom