Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I do have questions about the helmet cam, let me see:

1. What's the best camcorder to use for about $300? How about $500?
2. Where can I get the the best 480 line camera for CHEAPO? (is that what you use?)
3. What is the best mic to get?
4. Have you used mic foam to dampen the wind and placed the mic somewhere that wind doesn't affect it as much?

SC IS great, you can golf and ride almost the entire year. But the summers are harsh, whew...

Thanks dude.

Last edited:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
What you need is a camcorder that has AV inputs. Sony and Canon make them. Another thing you need (you can go without it, but it makes starting and stopping recording much easier), is a LanC remote. The camcorder needs a LanC connection. I have a Sony PCR110, but it was $$$ at the time because it's so small. Another thing you should go with is a camcorder with firewire support. This makes recording onto computer a breeze.

1) Camcorder: $400-$500 - do some searching on www.pricegrabber.com or some deal site, make sure it has AV inputs at the very least. I found a Sony for around $400 but without a LanC. I helped someone else out with finding some stuff and he said he got this camcorder for $550 at Best Buy (with rebates) Sony DCR-HC40. SWEET camcorder for the price!

2) Helmet cam:
http://cgi.e-b-a-y.com/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14957&item=5737350815&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
This cam is $64 and is 380 line. I tried TWO different 480 line cameras and this one had much better quality (less interlacing and less fish-eye lense effect)

3) Microphone, windscreen and LanC remote:
http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=245

This microphone sounds much better than the other one I had used in the past.

Whew, I think that is it. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
You see, that's what's great about these forum things...here I was thinking bigger is better with the 380 vs. 480 lines. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's funny you mention the DCR-HC40, because I was looking at that one...but it doesn't say it has LanC...

The helmet cam link from "that site they don't allow us to post" does not work. Can you give me name and model?

Thanks bro.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Someone said:
I just bit the bullet and bought a Line 6 Vetta II combo amp(incredible amp!), a Mackie Mixer, and an Alesis compressor/limiter. This should really improve recording quality.

I am so jealous right now...they need a smilie for extreme envy

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
added new version of my tune today

Well, I have an "almost" finished version. My buddy came over last weekend and we got very drunk and did some vocals. The words are pretty bad(my drinking buddy neighbor wrote them), verse 2 is duplicated since we don't have a 3rd verse yet, but they're about my house and where I live and what my job is. Since I work at home for a living, people don't think I work(chorus explains it).

My house is on a hill, I have a kegerator, and it's pretty much beer-thirty every night of the week here. :)

Anywho, I ditched my new amp and kept my old Line6. The $1700 amp wasn't worth it. I kept my $400 amp. The new Mackie mixer is awesome tho.

Here it is, it's 5 minutes long. Remember, I am only the guitar player(and baratone on the chorus). =) The mixing isn't complete yet. I am getting burned out on this song. I would hate to be a sound engineer.

My buddy did the vocals, sounds just like Neil Diamond to me(except the satanic chorus). :)

http://www.foolshosting.com/the_place_on_the_hill.mp3

Lemme know what you think, good or bad. ;)

My next recording with have no vocals.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I think the music is very cool. The chorus voice is excellent. "The place on the hill"...I'll be singing that for a while...and "what we have here" was cool also. Your buddy has a pretty good voice, but the main part of the song needs to be tweaked a little, like you said, he sounds like Neil...lol... if he could change his style for the main verses, it would make it even better. (or maybe just add an effect to his voice on the main verses)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
The intro reminded me of Stxy's "Suite Madame Blue," but you're totally right about the Neil Diamond soundalike at the beginning. A real "Holly Holy," or "Forever in Bluejeans" vibe, but it soon goes away.

I really like the music, and it's got a great groove. The lyrics are definitely inspired by and an hommage to barley-based beverages, so you'll have no problem replacing them with something more meaningful. I second liking the "what we have here" part, except for the reference to beer.

Overall, I really like it, and it's obvious you've got talent. If you're getting tired of working with the track, put it away for a bit and come back to it.

In the spirit of the Saturday Night Live sketch, "Ya gotta have more cowbell!"

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks again. The song definitely has room for improvement. The beer thing was just something we thought was funny at the time. :)

I plan on re-doing the vocals for the 3 verses. Hopefully this time we will be more sober. ;)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Still a good tune. I like what's you've started on "I can't tell you why," too. Of course, the Eagles took the song name already...

Keep on pickin'.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom