melinko65

Jan 14, 2006
:pissed: im having trouble with my husqvarna i had it bored out and a new piston ordered for it i put it back together and it feels sticky when the piston slides up for the compression stroke (almost like it is leaking compression) :bang: i have no idea what this is any info would be helpful thanks mike

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Did you send the piston with the jug when you had it bored? If you didn't they may not be the correct sizes...First I guess I should ask, do you get this feeling when you turn over the engine slowly or kicking it over to start it? If you are turning it over slowly (by hand) it will be somewhat jerky because the rings will not make a perfect seal (like an O ring would).

You can find your year model with the frame number here
http://www.huskyclub.com/model.htm

Hope it helps
Dale

melinko65

Jan 14, 2006
Bored together

I sent the jug to a husky dealership and had it bored to the new piston when it came in it moved fine in the jug and is is not kicking (with my foot or hand) like any of the other bikes in the shop (01 yz 250's) it seems like it is leaking compression but i dont know if im right

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
The 250cr is really easy to kick over because of the gear ratio. I can kick mine with my left leg even though an earlier injury has made my ankle quite weak. A friend has a 00 yz 250 and it takes more pressure to kick it over. Anyways, an aircooled engine is easy to pull down and check--it would be my trouble shooting route as it takes less than 20min.

Hope it helps
Dale

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I'd pull the head and cylinder and check for damage to the cylinder wall, piston, and ring.
Did you check to find the correct year model for your bike?

Dale

melinko65

Jan 14, 2006
well we drilled & tapped the head still having the same prob but with a push start it will fire :aj: . . . . . . . any thoughts on a clutch that when pulled in while still in gear your still going the cable is adjusted all the way out

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Clutch adjustment is fairly easy, disconnect the cable, lay the bike on its side and remove the clutch cover. Do not take of the shifter or kickstarter, they will come off with the cover. In the middle of the clutch hub is a 10mm nut with an allen screw in the middle of it. This nut will need to be loosened, to do this there is a small hole next to it that needs an allen wrench put in to it to stop the nut from turning, use one a few sizes larger than the one you will need for the allen screw. With the nut loosened and with the allen wrench still in the lockout hole tighten the middle allen screw until you get about 1/4 inch play in the lever on the case. tighten the nut remove the allen wrench you used for a lockout and reasemble making sure the shift lever lines up when you replace the case.
Kind of long winded and probably confusing explanation, but it is relatively easy 5min job

Hope it helps
Dale

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
If its been sitting a while and sometimes if its not warmed up enough your friction and steel clutch plates are sticking together. If you get it running and ride it for a while they may free themselves. If not, you better pull the clutch pack and see whats up. I had one that sat for 10 years and basically just got new plates they were so stuck together.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Wait a minute. Does you clutch slip? The kickstarter goes through the clutch, that is why an older Husky won't kick with the clutch lever pulled in. It may be that the plates are gooped up from sitting/dirty oil and may need cleaning. I remember having a dragging clutch problem years ago but it would still start.

Dale

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
It's easy enough to clean them up while you have the cover off. Unbolt the clutch hub take out the plates and wipe them clean with nonflammable solvent and a rag, re-oil them with fresh oil and replace them then do the adjustment.

Top Bottom