Anyone put an aftermarket pipe on a 02 or 03 YZ250?

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I was just wondering if there is an aftermarket pipe that actually is an improvement over the 02/03 YZ250 stock pipe. I talked to one guy and he said he tried a Pro Circuit and a FMF (didn't say which FMF) and neither was an improvement. Power delivery was changed a little but he felt that the stock pipe was overall better.

So if anyone has 2 cents worth to throw in please do.............thanks

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think the engines are very close to the 01, mine came with an SST so i dont have any comparison to stock, but a few guys i know feel that the SST/shorty combo is a very good way to go, then combine that with the V-force reed valve and very good things happen. From what i have seen on this forum, the SST seems to be a good choice on most bikes.

For what its worth, the SST is supposed to be a bit top endy, but it works very well in combination with erics low to mid port job (01 yz250)on the local MX tracks....the v-force is very much next on my list!

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
just did 2 02 yz's
1 with a sst, stock silencer and v force reeds. it went from 41 to 46

1 with a pc, stock silencer, v force reeds, porting & a head mod it went from 41 to 53.3

After some parts swaping the end results were this -

stock engine likes the sst better than the pc, a cleaned up cylinder with a little off the head likes the pc by 1.3 hp, they both take to the v force well and we saw no gains with the sst or 304 silencer over stock.

188 dyno runs later we have a 53.3 hp pump gas 02 YZ250, Nutec run coming soon.

Hope this helps

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
I put a Doma pipe on my 02 and 03 yz250, and the bike rips, The 02 was the hardest bike to find a good pipe, I tryed everything, and then the Doma, and wow! what a difference. set of the pants you really feel it.
And on my 03 yz250, the pipe even worked better( 03 to me was a little softer than the stock 02 yz 250 on bottom and mid)the bottom mid really rips, and didnt hurt the great top end. I ran the stock silencer, so you can still fine tune the power with the silencer, short for better bottom, and longer for better top.

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sage, can we get more details on your yz project? what sort of work did you do on the cylinder? i had eric shave the bottom of mine and fill the transfers with epoxy etc to get the low to mid and i love it....but i must get the v-force soon!

where did you jetting end up, did you neeed to lean the needle and pilot since mine just seems to rich.

any other tips...it seems like the v-force is the real hot ticket with these engines

thanks

bruce

dejackson

Jan 4, 2002
I have an 02 YZ250 (forsale) with a FMF Fatty/shorty and Boysen Rad valve. This combination improved the bottom end, which took out the hard midrange hit on my bike. Made the bike faster and easier to ride (but not as easy as my new 250F).

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
Thanks for the info guys. I spoke with Ty Davis's mechanic at the Honey Lake WORCS race last weekend. I asked him about pipes and he agreed that they didn't have much luck with any of the aftermarket pipes so they went to Flow (former pipe maker for Noleen, so he said) to have them help make a pipe for the YZ250. He said it improves the power a little over stock on the bottom and then keeps pulling longer on top with a 4 hp increase (sounds hard to believe, but that's what he said). It also tucks in better to avoid being smashed and is ceramic coated in a dull gray color.

I can get a deal on the Ty Davis pipe so I think that's what I'll try.

MotoManiac

Jul 12, 2001
Talk to Randy at FLO pipes (formerly Noleen). He is waiting on new plates for the pipes. Their number is 909-340-2555. The pipe adds more hp than porting.

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
I've heard good things about the DEP pipe on the YZ250. Matt Shue ran one last season - George Quay just picked up the distributorship of these pipes if I'm not mistaken.

Jason Thomas said that with pipe and V-Force his 2003 YZ250 is the fastest bike he's ever had - no port work. That's pretty impressive as he did have a factory Husky ride for a while there too.
MP

Top Bottom