Anyone use MT-21 Pirelli's before?

Roostn

Mar 15, 2001
Has anyone tried Pirelli MT-21 Rallycross tires before? I bought a pair for my YZ426 and they are really skinny. I hear that the compound is good though. I planned on using them in the Pikes Peak Hillclimb this weekend. Its a very hard packed gravel road.

I'm just looking for info as I have zero experience with these tires.

Email me direct at tim.buhler@gambrobct.com

Roostn

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Twice on two different dual-sports. They hook up good, but didn't last very long. I like the Dunlop 606, which lasts longer than the MT-21s.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I liked them for harder terrain. Not great in mud, though. I took my wife's off for the winter, but just put it back on for the summer.

I think they're really good for a DOT tire.

Mag

Dave'sDRZ

Mar 28, 2000
They are the best knobby for the street-stick real well. Dunlop 606 rear is a better tire for the dirt. Unless you need a DOT tire, I'd think the S-12's would be a better choice for riding in CO-I used a pair in the Sierras and they worked great.

Oct 30, 2000
no gain in using the front unless you do heaps of road ks.

we use the rears when we go into the desert for weeks at a time, strong and last a while.

rate as the best legal tyre we can get -

but then who uses legal tyres.:D

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
MT21s will be great for your intended use. They excel in Rally-type conditions on gravel. The rounded profile and flat knobs let them slide predictably and hook up.

An experienced friend runs them for our West Texas dual sport called in Terlingua and buys/mounts up these tires just for this event. He flat FLIES on these things.

I ran the MT21s before too and they do work great on gravel. Suckola in sand, OK in mud, great on the hard stuff. Pavement too.

BTW, I'll be going up the mountain in a few weeks on a KLR with 'stone ED01 front/Trail Wing rear. For a knobby these do well on pavement too.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by Dave'sDRZ
They are the best knobby for the street-stick real well. Dunlop 606 rear is a better tire for the dirt. Unless you need a DOT tire, I'd think the S-12's would be a better choice for riding in CO-I used a pair in the Sierras and they worked great.

From my experience, spikey soft terrain tires flat stink on hardpack and gravel. The profile created by the side spikes make them go away drastically after a certain lean angle is acheived when there is nothing soft to bite into. The open pattern also puts very little rubber down on the hard surface.

I'm prepping for a Rampart Range/ Crested Butte trip right now. For RR, I have been told by the locals to run the hardest tire available and expect it to be trash after 150 miles due to the sanding the decomposed granite causes. For Crested Butte, guys like the softs for the alpine trail mud conditions but say they chunk from the rocks. I'll run an old Dunlop HT for RR and a M12 up in Crested Butte.

Top Bottom