garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
Looking at a 1998 ktm sr pro that has a problem that the guy will only sell me if I(we) can find a fix for. Its probably been on here before but the nut that holds the clutch on keeps backing off and he has tried blue locktite and it still keeps backing off and slipping. If it is not caught quick and retightened, it messes up the brass bearing on the shaft or once it broke the clutch. I looked at the threads tonight and they look fine. Also it keeps breaking bolts on the top of the head where the exhaust bracket is mounted. He is tightning on the clutch side with a pretty big cresent wrench and on the flywheel side he has the proper 15mm socket, but he says they don't help each other tighten cause one is lh thead and the other is rh thead, so maybe he isn't getting it tightened right. Any help out there? Thanks in advance

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
He's needs to get the correct socket for the clutch nut and torque it to specs. Also use the green loctite.

The bolt he is breaking is probably due to the rider bottoming the suspension and the exhaust hitting the ground. This will also cause the head stay brackets to crack as well. Stiffen up the suspension and double check to make sure it isn't bent.

Last edited:

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
Thanks a ton, will try and I know the suspension is at its softest setting and he said there is a very soft charge in the mono shock. His boy was little when he started on it and has now growned quite a bit (68) pounds and has moved up to the new 2002 model

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A 68 pounder NEEDS to be on a bigger bike or have some serious suspension work done. :eek:

Kinda' sounds like maybe you should find another deal.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
How old is the rider. At his weight, he should be on a 65.

My son is only 9, but weighs in at a solid 98lbs. Needless to say, we are going to give up 3 yrs of eligibility on the 65's and only ride the 85's in '03. We only have 6 more races on the 65 and he's off of it. He doesn't even want to practice on it anymore.

Did you get the clutch tighten correctly?

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
lol, the boy is only 6 and 68 pounds, my boy is 7 and only weighs 47 pounds!! As far as getting the clutch tightened properly, I haven't seen the guy yet, we were suppose to go to the racetrack and see the guy but it rained out the races. He said he would sell me the bike if I found a fix, so he still has the bike(sitting at his house, not being used). Will call him with the info and see if it holds, I emailed Andy from EGRacing and he told me to put a little jb weld (not jb quick) on the threads, that is what they have been doing for a year now at their shop and had no problems. Also, do you know what the charge pressure is in the mono shock and do you have to take it to the dealer or can any motorcycle shop do it? Thanks Gary

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
green loctite will work but make sure the guy allows it to set before he fills the crankcase with oil. I have seen severl guys do that. We use Red loctite on the Morini motor in our Cobra with no problems. With the green you will need to heat the clutch nut with a small torch to get it off. Also the green is harder to find. But blue loctite won't cut it as he has already found out.
Unless its like a super cheap smoking deal I would pass. You can easily spend big $$$ fixin stuff like rear shocks and front forks. If he hasn't gotten the clutch sorted out what else has been neglected. I pull my side cover off about every 4 moto's to check the washer stack and change the oil every race day. For some reason all the mini's need extra special attention. buy one that has gotten it. In my opinion.
Jason

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
The shocks on the older 50's are non rebuildable.

I would give real serious consideration to just putting him on a 65. In the long run it will be cheaper and better for your son. I've seen some really good deals on used 65's. This is a good time of year to start looking for one.

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
I think the red loctite is what is recomended. I believe the green will work, although it is designed for repairing loose bearing fits. It fills a void well, but I am not sure how adhesive to metal it actually is compared to the red loctite. As stated above. the green is harder to find anyhow. And be sure to let it sit overnight before running it. The blue loctite is definitely unsatisfactory for the clutch retaining nut. I use a small torch to deactivate the red, as it is so tough it can screw up the threads if you don't. I have heard about using JB Weld also.
To attain the proper torque, you can stuff a length of 1/4" rope into the spark plug hole to keep the crank from turning. This is how tons of folks do it.
As far as the mounting bracket bolts on the head shearing, this is pretty common in the little 50s. They are vibrating little rascals, and anything that is put into a mechanical stress and vibration will break. I am sure this is whats happening. Remove the bolts, and see if there is room for a washer or two under the bracket. You want it to tighten down solidly without deflecting the bracket. As far as that goes, it is wise to do this with all the motor mounts, as the frames on the minis seem to vary in shape more than the big bikes, and often the entire frame is put in a bind because of poorly fitting motor mounts. This may help all kinds of bolts on the bike keep from loosening, as they always seem to do on the 50s.
Rich

Top Bottom