Aztalan Cycle Hare Scrambles 04-27-08

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
C&C if you wish.
I was doing the article for CycleUSA and as part of that needed to shoot some photos. I found it is far more difficult to portray the speed some of these guys fly through the woods and the lighting was difficult at times to deal with as the day kept going from sunny to cloud covered and the trees did not help.
These are just a few of the many I shot and I am open to any suggestions on how I could have improved my results. Thanks :cool:

the kids were out first
a1-21.jpg

John Stewart jumped out to an early lead and cruised for 55 minutes before he was cught and challenged on the last lap (he was running a unique class which is made up of racers that do a series in which they compete in- HS, Flat track, Hillclimb, MotoX, Supermoto, road, ice, drags, trials, and 2 made up as you go events. if you do all on the same bike you get a 25 point bonus at season end)
a2-20.jpg

a12-2.jpg

This is the guy that ran him down

a3-18.jpg

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
In the A class one of our fast MX racers entered his first HS and finished second to one of the AA riders. He found out why woods guys cut down their bars and install bark busters- he could barely move his fingers they were so swollen.

a8-6.jpg

a10-4.jpg

a9-6.jpg

In order to shoot this corner I had to sit about 1 foot off the trail in the brush

a11-2.jpg

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
cool stuff Dave. You'll have to let the photoshopgeeks tell you how to deal with the overexposure or whatever you call it. Maybe you can post process some of the too bright out?

The angles are outstanding however! I have three faves: the last picture in post one; the last two in post two.

(The last picture in post four reminds me of riding at Knobby Ridge- that is...If you could putin a drop off, a couple of poorly placed giant rocks and a steep down hill next to those wheel swallowers.)

Thanks a bunch!

p.s. I'll let you know if things turn up for the prom. ;)

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I like the composition of the ones with the tree's on each side almost framing the rider. I've never shot much in the woods like that but it looks like you were struggling with blown highlights, I'd likely have tried dialing in some negative exposure compensation and then using some fill flash to save the details. I've never tried one but a polarizing filter should help as well.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Fill flash with a flash extender like a Better Beamer might bring the exposure between the subject and the background closer together and should let you stop down a bit so you get more keepers.

The Better Beamer is cheap (about $40) and works incredibly well with the distances you be shooting at with a 70-200 lens.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
The Better Beamer is cheap (about $40) and works incredibly well with the distances you be shooting at with a 70-200 lens.

I almost purchased one of those prior to the last Arenacross I shot but never got around to placing the order. Seems like an interesting product.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Doug/Dave:

How do flashes affect the riders? (Is it different indoors VS outdoors as I'd expect or is it really the same issue either way?)

Doug- do they impose limitations on you when you shoot the indoor circuits?

Thanks (and sorry for the hijack Oldguy. I've been wondering about this awhile.)

dd

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I rarely use flash outdoors for racing except in the very early spring/fall but I've never had a rider complain about the flash at any point of any indoor or outdoor event.

As far as limitations, at a SX they give you a track map with green and red areas. You can shoot from the green and can not from the red. There are no restrictions as far as using flash, unless you wanted to strobe up the place which caused a bit of a ruckus a few years ago.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Likely the biggest issue at a local event when your hiding in the trees is most riders aren't expecting anyone. If they know you are out there I doubt it will be an issue.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
If you 'surprise' a rider,.. then he wasnt focused enough. After racing moto many years, Ive become blind to spectators, ..but that could be a good/bad thing in the woods, LOL!

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Dave, I have the same trouble shooting in those conditions, but with a flash things can be a bit easier. I would expose for the background and have it about 1 stop underexposed, then with the flash set on ettl, the rider will be exposed properly.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Nice work Dave, and thanks for sharing! Spider did not race?
His season is a bit on hold for a couple weeks until exams are finished and his plan was to go to Mt Carroll to practice but his friend cancelled Sat night.

I will have to play with the flash- when I have tried using it as a fill even thru ETTL it seems to take over and slow the shutter causing massive overexposure or total blur on the action. I guess I need to finally read the directions that came with it :whoa:

Top Bottom