Backyard Nightmare

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
No problem EM. Sometimes the written word leaves a lot to be desired when it comes out in interpretation by the reader.

I am sorry about your dog and firmly believe that whoever shot your dog should have gas injected into his urethra followed by a lit firecracker!!

Ivan

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Truespode
... whoever shot your dog should have gas injected into his urethra followed by a lit firecracker!!

I like your style, Ivan. :thumb: :)

(Remind me never to piss you off. :eek: )

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If the police won't give you the citation it is apparant to me that you are not doing anything wrong to get a ticket. Also if you need a ticket to prove yourself right< I sure hope you are 100% correct in this> in a higher court then whats the problem?

If you ride you either get no citation or you get one that you are going to be able to fight and win ,to be able to straighten this mess out. Is this correct as I understand it? Although it would be nice, I wouldn't count on every neighbor sharing your enthusiasm but it does sound like you have most of the support.

I say ride, if the police come politely tell them to either ticket you for something you did wrong or file complaints of harrassment against the nieghbor telling you that you should stop doing something that isn't illegal.
Why does the petition work for the other side and not yours? If petitions are meaningless then the original one is nothing to worry about , correct?

More importantly get involved as much as you possibley can with the local government and get that mayor ousted. Either by helping to vote him out next election or getting him fired<impeached?> because he is not upholding the ordinances as you are explaining them to us. Then very possibley if you have a decent guy running the town they will find out who shot your dog<somebody has to know something but .....>and you can bring charges against them.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by Truespode
No problem EM. Sometimes the written word leaves a lot to be desired when it comes out in interpretation by the reader.

You are 100% correct with that statement!!! Like I said before I'm open to any idea's. I've tried everything I can think of, but I'm in that catch 22 right now. Maybe working together we can come up with an angle that forces the scales to tip in my favor totally. I respect my neighbors rights also, many people have told me to ride everyday and at all hours, but I know that that is definately not the right way to go about it. If I did that I should be shut down and given a ticket. I have tried to get the city in a Mediation session with the State Attorney and Omsbudsman, but they have failed to reply, they tell me I need to mediate with the neighbors that call the Police, but the neighbors that call the Police tell me to take it up with the city. I think at this point after talking to the Police Officers, they are tired of the neighbors complaints and have told them to back off. After Jazzy was shot, the Zone Enforcement Officer inspected the neighbors property and issued them citations for every minor violation, from weeds higher than 6" to vehicles parked at the side of their housed that were not in working condition. I have not spoken at a city council meeting since the last time the neighbors called the police on us riding a stock XR50 in the yard. When the Officer responded his comment was "you've got to be kidding, is that what you were riding?" He then went to the neighbors house and told him not to run his lawnmower if he was going to call on us for that.

The mayors comment was a XR50 shouldn't be ridden, because it is a kids bike and it can't be fun for adults to ride. We then asked him if he golfs, and someone commented "I don't like to golf, so you shouldn't do that Mr Mayor, It can't be fun!" I think that got the point accross to him. Because he doesn't see the fun in it doesn't give him the right to make that decision for you or me. Right?

I attended the "Meet the Canidates" for City Council allready and put them on the spot. It was nice to see a few of the incumbants sweat while the press and other citizens were there. I found out at that time the two current members that support me and which ones need to be ousted. The mayor is up in 2004 and can't wait for that.

It is funny, some of the neighbors on the other block started knocking on the oppositions doors and asking them to sell their houses. Some of the people in our neighborhood had bikes that have sat in their sheds for a while not in working condition and asked me to repair them so helped a few of the ones that have mini-bikes and bikes that haven't run in a while fix them up. Definately have the support of most the neighborhood, just those few that give me problems still. As a "group" we decided who to we were voting for in the current elections. The canidates are coming to show their support at the "fundraiser" and make donations in front of the cameras. I hate the politics game, but now to win the war you must take one battle at a time.

On any given day there are many younger kids riding their BMX bikes in the yard. I think what the plan is going to be is after the Why'd U Shoot My Dog Concert (Fundraiser), maybe I will build a BMX Track and fence it off to limit my liability. I think riding BMX in the yard will be much more condusive and fun. Fuzz gave me the idea and I think I will run with it, afterall he is the Godfather of Dirt BMX. Occationally ride a 50 out there and the whole problem will go away. I will still jet my bikes and test suspension, but nothing out of the ordinary for anyone that has land. Think this will work?

-dc

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't know if any of us really need to be giving out advise on how the man handles his finances. Let's be real here. If a man needs his nits picked, should we not first be lice free?

Fences make the best neighbors.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you are comfortable with the information provided by the planning & zoning department then I would say ride. Personally I would seek out a lawyer that is familiar with land developement issues in your town and get an hour of his time just as a CYA. If indeed you are within the zoning and you are not creating excessive noise or dust then it's going to be up to the people making the fuss to shut you down. Not saying this is the smart thing to do since even the best fence doesn't always make for good neighbors and if people just don't like something they can and will do illegal things to try and get their way as you have experienced. The park idea would be a neat little twist of the knife except in most communities parkland is either dedicated by a developer or purchased for a very low cost by the local government and to be quite honest it's typically as a little "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." dealing :| . You may be taking on some liability by letting the local kids ride your backyard but if you get their parents to sign a waiver and post some warning signs it's not going to make you totally protected but it's better than waiting for the other shoe to drop when an arm gets broke.

Isn't it interesting how more information can shed a completly different light on things? It's unfortunate the circumstances you describe have happened and while I agree with you that it seems you did try to do all the right things in putting the track in sometimes it's still not a good idea.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
extrememoto will you be my neighbor?

Hey if the mayor is inviting people to his house to ride take him up on it, show up with your CRF and light up his front yard. Now that would be funny.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I'm not sure I understand. You were told you can't ride in your yard and if you do the cops will come. They don't write you a ticket and you receive no fines? If you do get a ticket or fine the state will finally come to you assistance. What's to stop you from doing it? Ride the 20 minutes once a week like you intended and forget about them. They obviously have too much time on their hands.

Mark

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'd still pursue the park thing, even though Patman is right that this is normally planned ahead of time. Given all the things that have happened in this case the wimpy mayor may pay handsomely to make this go away and ensure the entire neighborhood is happy. Doesn't cost you anything to offer...

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Extreme,

I have to hand it to you. That track looks great. I would love to be able to have that in my yard. One thing that I don't get though. How much testing can you do in 15-20 minutes a week anyway? Clickers and sprockets would have to be redone at the track - so would tires. (I know I can't change tires that fast anyway) God knows, I can't re-jet that fast! Looks to me like you just wanted to do what you love on your own land and found out that some people are unhappy when you are happy - been there.

Also, didn't the neighbors think something was up when 118 truck loads of dirt started to show up? I mean, around here (3 acre lots minimum) you can't move a fraction of that much soil without permits/approvals and procedures. Of course, dirt bikes are NOT permitted and I can FEEL the anger my neighbors have for me when I take my bike for a ride even though nobody has ever complained - you can see it on their faces.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
I had a few jumps in the yard with a berm that I would hit up after work a couple times a week to have fun on and they never said a word. Not until a couple and the other side of the road stirred up all the crap. When the police come out they are great to deal with, but ask me not to ride. I don't want to start a issue with the police officer, because he off the record tell me he thinks the neighbors have to much time on their hands. Hopefully after I build a complete BMX Track and plant grass and make it look like a park, they will leave me alone. I just rode out there to see if they would call the police tonight and haven't seen them yet, hopefully they have gotten a life in the past week.

-dc

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Layton City made Beringer fence in his yard and think kaysville made Fuzz do the same. Definately want to fence it to limit my liability. Just need to fence the north and east sides in. Maybe get the white "slats" that go into an existing fence to block their view of my yard a little.

-dc

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
The person that shot the dog "shot" off his mouth by braging about it. Somebody last night instant messeged me and asked me a few questions about our dog and everything that has happened. She told me about the person that hangs out with her husband was showing off his gun and the silencer to them and told them about shooting a dog in layton. The rest of the info i will release after he is arrested, since the police asked me to not release certain facts that prove beyond a doubt that he is the shooter. Thank God for the Internet and ability to post in forums like this and luckily someone read a post I had on a news website and contacted me.

I started construction on a small BMX and 50 course on Sunday with whoops and small jumps, a neighbor donated a tractor with a blade and ripper for us to use. I have a few trees and there is a 8 ft fence (the neighbor put up) that will block the noise. Hopefully they will not harass me anymore, guess we will see. Thanks for all your help and any other comments or ideas you might have.

-dc

Wanker

Jun 8, 2000
Fellow here in New Hampshire wanted to open his 830 acres to ATV/Dirtbike use and the town said he had to have a site plan review with the planning board first. Big bucks. He ignored them and people rode as they have for 30 years. Town issued a cease and desist and he ignored it. Town sued him for violating the cease and desist and Granite State ATV Association ( they represent all the wheels..just an unfortunate name choice ) asked to be an intervenor in the lawsuit. The associations lawyer pitbulled the town in Superior Court and they got crushed. Yee Haw ! Town has since filed appeal with the NH Supreme Court and we found out last week they have accepted the case. Now we have to raise $$$ for the lawyer. But he's well worth it.
It sounds like you have to force the issue at this point and do what you want . Let the City or the neighbors take you to court and then fight your case. Right now they are using the scumbag bully tactic to intimidate you into conforming to THEIR beliefs and THEIR standards. You can get more info about the NH situation at WWW.GSATVA.ORG.
Keep your head high brother !! Riding is NOT a crime.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
You are right, have to force them into court. Building a 50 track and let them take me to court over a XR50. Police dropped by to see our dog and told me if they call them for the XR50 they will tell them if they give me a ticket the neighbor will get one for running a lawnmower also. The officers also told me to get my sled out of the garage now there is a little snow on the ground and ride it back there, no dust issue. It is nice to know that there are some good Police Officers out there and luckily they are behind me. Figure in the spring I will force the issue on XR50's. My friend in Clinton, UT has a 50 track and was issued a ticket and the courts reprimanded the City for even bring the issue to court. The judge told the City District Attorney, if he ever brings my friend back into court for anything related riding the minibikes in his yard, he will fine the City and recommend civil proceedings for harassment. Nice to know finally the judges realize how rediculous it is.

-dc

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Sorry about all your troubles. I recently helped one of my friends, who lives a couple houses down from me, build a tiny 50 track,... Just 2 berms, that is it for now. He is planning on getting some dirt delivered to grade out the rest of his property and to maybe make to small jumps as well.
We have an HOA and he was advised by the police that he can do what he wants on his property with this...
Needless to say, his neigbors to his left just moved in about 2 months ago, when we were digging the berms, they called the HOA and he received Certified letters about it all. The letter states how that any activity which"disprupts neihbors" must be ceased. Furthermore, returning the ground to the way it was, or suit will take place and the Army Corp of Engineers will be contacted for involvement. He has since talked to the HOA pres and he will come down one day to "listen" from the road to see if they are a nuissance. We only rode about 30 mins that day.
At my house, my neighbor has like 10+ kids from around the neighborhood that hang out and play all day, screaming and such. They recently bought one of those GREAT enclosed Trampolines so the lil kids can jump in it ALL day long, while screaming 10 feet from my driveway. I dont complain to anyone, just suck it up while I am there. Point is, I feel ya man.
The govt, if provoked, seems they can tell you what you can and cant do, its all about keeping it cool with everyone I guess. Look at Travis P., he had the same problems last year on his 45 acre property, which his neighbor also had 45 acres butted up and was cool with riding, another neighbor far off complained and got the Army Corp of Engineers involved. Granted, permits weren't obtained before he made his tracks, but it seems that if a neighbor makes a complaint with "dirtbikes" involved in it, its a tough battle for us.
Sorry about your dog dude. Good luck.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
You are right, if someone complains anything do do with a dirtbike, as riders we are automatically wrong. Luckily have the city council behind me, the city council members that thought I could not get them out of office are guess what: They didn't get re-elected. One of the booted councilmen, called me after the election was tallied and said "guess I picked the wrong side of the fence to back" As a whole, if we all stand united, they cannot defeat us, but if we stand alone we are finished. Luckily in Layton City there are a great number of ATV, snowmobile, and motorcycle owners, and I got their support and got 2 members of the council replaced with backers of yours and my rights. Now after seeing this, the Mayor should realize who's side he should take. Hope everything goes good with your neighborhood and if you need help from us, let us know.

-dc

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I know Dave personally and would like to make a few comments.

The was he has handeled all the garbage that has happened to him is excellent. He has been professional and decent about the whole thing. There have been several news stories on this locally and Dave looked and acted like a professional in the interviews. I dont know how he was able to controll himself.

I sincerely hope this gets resolved in his favor. We could use more people like him.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by Rcannon
I know Dave personally ....
The was he has handeled all the garbage that has happened to him is excellent. He has been professional and decent about the whole thing . . . . Dave looked and acted like a professional in the interviews. I dont know how he was able to controll himself.

I sincerely hope this gets resolved in his favor. We could use more people like him.

I tell you what, sometimes it is hard as heck to not explode on those people. But to win the war, you will lose a few battles. To win the War I have to remain calm & collected, especially with the media attention. It is comments like yours that keep me motivated not to give up and continue to fight. I want you to know I appreciate them alot and it keeps me motivated and positive. As one person, I can be defeated, but UNITED we will NOT LOSE!!!

When are we going riding? Call me 801.675.2RIDE(2743) or e-mail me Crapo@extrememotosports.com

On a side note, we are finishing a video, 'There goes the neighborhood', on the whole backyard ordeal, making of the track, news footage, Jazzy's story, and a few skits to spice it up. In the skit we filmed last night, we ride a XR50 pulling a trashcan lid through a business. Someone from a different company called Layton City Police. When they showed up, the officers were awsome to deal with. Since we had permission from the business owner to do it, they just made sure no one those of us that were drinking had a designated sober driver. Wish we had more officers like them.

Weber State University called and is interested in purchasing the land behind the house. If this goes through, I will buy some land off the freeway, where there are no houses and build a public track. Have been approached to open a cycle parts & accessory shop of Gentile in Layton. Will also offer the best prices over the internet from a website, yet to be named.

-dc

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
MX Machine did editorial that i sent them in the issue that hits news stands Nov 25th and subscribers allready recieved...just received e-mail from Fast50.com Check it out...

God Bless the USA for Freedom of Speech...and forums like this...

-dc

Top Bottom