Backyard Nightmare

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
I just bluntly tell the neighbors to go f#$% themselves when they complain. Ok, so the neighbors don't really like me much, nor do I think the words and expressions I use in these instances is very appropriate, but If theres one thing I'm obsessivly protective of is my bike and my right to ride it. If that doesn't work, than theres allways tire slashing... ;) luckly I haven't had to resort to that yet.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by ericlachance
theres one thing I'm obsessivly protective of is my bike and my right to ride it. If that doesn't work, than theres allways tire slashing... ;) luckly I haven't had to resort to that yet.

Think we all agree we must be protective of our rights to ride, first they close our public lands....now private land, what is next. If we all don't stick together to stop these violations of our rights, we will lose them one by one. We have to all band together to fight to protect what freedoms we have left. We need to form an organization to protect ourselves that will fight for the little guys. The neighbors have allready resorted to putting nails under my tires, but luckily I have great Police Officers in Layton that check up on the house and vehicles on a regular basis.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by DougRoost
How about this to get back at the mayor? Get a petition signed to have this additional property you bought turned into a city park and playground. Sell them the land for a lot more than you paid for it. Once it's done sell your house at a nice profit due to its proximity to this wonderful new park. Then move to a more rural area where you have ~10 acres to do with as you please.

Went to the City Council Meeting last night and had a written proposal for Layton City to purchase the land. They sound semi-interested in the idea. Told them if they didn't want to have another spring and summer drama like this last year that them buying the land would be the best solution for myself, the neighbors, and the city. Pulled land sales in the area for a 1 acre parcel and they sell between 80,000-135,000. So knock on wood, 1) the city buys it, 2) I sell the house & 3) build a public track and my house off the freeway somewhere in a commercial or agricultural zoned area. Then I can open it to the public and run it as a business.

rideYZ

Nov 19, 2003
Crapo, after you sell your land and build a public track, you need to give me a job! Are you still opening a shop in Layton soon? Saw the teaser for your video 'There Goes The Neighborhood' and it rocks. Love the XR50 Scene in your garage when you wipe out the people on the couch. Hope they buy your land soon. We all have our fingers crossed for you!!! Send some footage of the sleds riding in your yard. rideYZ490@motocross.com

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by rideYZ
Are you still opening a shop in Layton soon? Saw the teaser for your video 'There Goes The Neighborhood' and it rocks. Love the XR50 Scene in your garage when you wipe out the people on the couch. Hope they buy your land soon.

Tryin to open the shop by spring...went to a city council meeting to pressure them to put the heat on Weber State to buy the land...My Real Estate agent found some land off the freeway for dirt cheap and soon as the land sells in my backyard will get the track built...Glad u liked the video teaser....will send some more footage...

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I can't even imagine building a track on only 2 acres - much less in a residential neighborhood. What were you thinking? I like bikes and wouldn't want you riding that close to my house.

Brian

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Brian,

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you had all the facts in front of you I think you would be supportive. First off, I only wanted to ride once a week while the neighbors are at work for less than 1 hour(read the newpaper articles on my site). Second, it would never be open to the public as a track...neighbors started calling it a track and told the city I was opening it to the public. I don't want a public track in my yard either and wouldn't want bikes running 24/7 either. I'm sure you ride your bike on the street when you jet it or tune it....is that any different than testing it if you had 2 acres of land(110 ft by 851 ft deep) instead of the streets?
I went to a city council meeting last week and now have the support of the city to use "with good judgement" and the city does not want to be involved in this dispute. Have talked to the neighbors lately and they seem to be more supportive now, they told me "we over reacted thinking you wanted to open it to the public, but if it is just you out there once or twice a week, we won't have a problem with that, just multiple riders would be an issue."
Everyone is entittled to an opinion, but you need all the facts in front of you, not just reading the first post and then responding. Read all the posts, read the articles and see what you think then. That is the great thing about America...FREEDOM!!! If I told you "I will call the cops everytime you start and tune your bike", how would you respond? Go to any neighborhood in America and you will see someone on an ATV or Bike running down the street, I just chose to do it on my Land that I paid for instead of the Street.

Like I posted before, I did a lot of research before I bought the land and spoke with the neighbors. I have a pic on my Yahoo Profile of the trails that were on my property from the neighbors riding their ATV's and motorcycles on the land as they have done for years before I built my house, now when I get home they have been snowmobiling on my land and the adjoining 20-30 acres next to me. They race up and down the street on their Quads for 30-40 minutes on saturdays and sundays, so is this any different than what I'm doing? I don't think so.

And to correct you, the track doesn't use all of my land....I have whoops that go into a 58' double...corner...68' tripple(step-up-down)...58' double...corner....six pack(21' doubles)....and that is it....not a complete "race track"

To answer your question....I was thinking I'm an American that served in the military and have paid my dues to protect the Freedom of all of us...and with that FREEDOM I bought Land, built my Dream House, and built some obstacles to ride on once a week... I talked to the neighbors before I bought the Land and everything was fine...I respect their rights that is why I have tried to explain to them it was not for the public and would be used only once a week...Things got blown out of proportion and they over reacted and jumped to conclusions.

We both agree they have rights and I have rights, so Let Me Ask You, Brian...is once a week while you are at work to much of an inconvience? or am I being unreasonable? Should I call the cops when they have their weekend drag races on the roads with ATV's and Bikes, and now that it is winter Snowmobiles? There is a balance of peoples rights and that is what I'm trying to accomplish. Please get the complete picture and then weigh in on your opinion....look for the complete 5-6 page story in one of your Motocross Magazines....coming to you soon....

Thanx for your opinion.... :think:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I've been thinking the same thing Brian said , just haven't posted it. I'm currently looking for a property of hopefully at least 2-5 + acres. Not much coming up in my price range, but I looked at one yesterday-2 acres, 2 garages, sweeeet right? Wrong, theres 4 or 5 neighbors abutting this property, rejected it right there. Looks like some of them ride too, but I wouldn't want them having a track next to me either.
I've read all of the pages and understand what you're saying, not trying to put you down. Once a week is fine, how you can not be tempted to ride more I don't know. What about when your buddies want to ride? Do you think you'll ever want to ride more than that at your own house? Even if the current neighbors said it's ok, what about when they want to sell and new people come in? Hope it all works out for you, what your neighbors did was wrong no doubt and sounds like they're some anal jerks but.....

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
The once a week limit is real. I abide by that myself, although I usually ride closer to an hour on that day, plus coach my son on his 65 for 45 minutes or so. I have 4 doubles, some small berms, and lots of transfer lines all jammed into the back corner acre or so of my 3.5 acre lot. Yes, it is tempting to ride more often, but I want to keep my neighbors neighborly. :) It does help that I am only near 2 homes, since I am at the very back of my subdivision. Plus, I am tree buffered on all sides. What the neighbors don't have to look at daily, they are less likely to object to. Plus, I let the neighbor kids come over and play with my son on the "dirt mounds" (jumps) with their dogs and bicycles. It gets used more for that, time wise, than for mx practice. When I do get out there on my KX I don't get on the pipe much. I try to velocity jump everything instead of acceleration jumping, which keeps the noise way down, especially with the Q series FMF silencer. I have used just one load, or less, for all but one of the jumps, with steep ramps, and very narrow lines. This keeps dirt costs down, and it doesn't "look" so much like a track, more like some "harmless" dirt mounds. ;) Even this low budget approach works well for off weekends when I don't go to a real track. Hitting the doubles 15-25 times over a 10 minute period even just once a week does wonders for maintaining balance and skills. Plus, the manual labor of track maintenance is very therapeutic after a long day at work. :D

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have a similar problem, I own a 165 acre piece of ground that butts up against the city limits in a rual town by a lake and the City folk "weekenders" (trailer trash that call it a cabin, go figure?) complain and call the cops every july when I am in full swing with harvest becuase of the dust that i kick up but they (cops) cannot do a thing and they side with me because well they know me. but then the weekenders like to have wild parties until 3 am and they wonder why I call the cops on them for distrubing the peace and public drunkeness.

They also have accually told me I cannot park my tractor on the street (the town has nothing but gravel streets) I tell them I live here 365 days a year I can do what I wish on my property, I hate it they come in on friday nite and take over, I wanna go have a 3 AM party next door to them in their yuppie planned community and see if they like it! DIE yuppie SCUM!

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
KXTodd said:
I've been thinking the same thing Brian said , just haven't posted it. I'm currently looking for a property of hopefully at least 2-5 + acres. Not much coming up in my price range, but I looked at one yesterday-2 acres, 2 garages, sweeeet right? Wrong, theres 4 or 5 neighbors abutting this property, rejected it right there. Looks like some of them ride too, but I wouldn't want them having a track next to me either.
I've read all of the pages and understand what you're saying, not trying to put you down. Once a week is fine, how you can not be tempted to ride more I don't know. What about when your buddies want to ride? Do you think you'll ever want to ride more than that at your own house? Even if the current neighbors said it's ok, what about when they want to sell and new people come in? Hope it all works out for you, what your neighbors did was wrong no doubt and sounds like they're some anal jerks but.....

I know that I have to show the neighbors that I will keep my word about only riding once a week and want to be a good neighbor to them. I have told even my good friends that beg to ride, "sorry, if I let you ride, then the result will hurt me in the long run", if they are a real friend they will understand. I wish the neighbors would sell their houses, I have several buyers from down the street lined up that have offered them above market value for their houses. I definately respect other peoples opinions on both sides of the fence and will always try to accomadate their needs and views also. What it boils down to is why for years before I moved in it was ok for people to ride back in the field almost every other day and ride snowmobiles back there and it is not ok for me? What else is the purpose of having 2 acres that I can't develop? If they don't like the way it looks, what about how their cotton wood trees affect my allergies and make my nose run constantly in the summer? What about the noise of F-16 jets flying overhead all day long? Noise should not be an issue, know what I mean, that is why I picked this lot, it was perfect. Where is the line drawn on landowners rights to 'landscape' their yard? I'm sure it will all work out for the better, just think they over reacted. Guess we will see what happens if the land doesn't sell. Thank you for weighing in... :thumb:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
:thumb: back at ya!
Maybe those neighbors have been p.o.'d at everyone riding back there for a long time and had noone to yell at or didn't want to be the whole neighborhoods enemy and then you come along and build a track. Great! Now we got someone to blame and yell at!?
Must be only the really good riders that can stand to only practice once a week, I suck so I'd be out there every chance I had :laugh:
BTW are you related to the Crapo in the Snowcross races?

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Yah, they are cousins that live up north from me...I only want to ride in the yard once a week to be corgial to the neighbors, I practice at other local tracks and in the winter travel to warmer locals...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I enjoyed our conversation last night. Hope the new land deal comes thru for you. I'll watch out for the camera deals.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Layton City E-mail Template

To the Mayor and City Officials of Layton City,

I want to voice my opinion on the what your city has called a motocross track in David Crapo's Backyard. There are Thousands of motocross enthusiasts throughout the Nation that have been in the same situation as him. The end result in the other citys has been the owner of the land and family members are permitted to operate OHV's and Motorcycles during reasonable hours without any city intervention. Many of these cases has gone as far as to see a court room, where the Judge has ruled in favor of the Landowner numerous times. The view accross amounst the majority of us is that all parties must use some Common Sense and good judgement. From everything we have read and seen, Mr. Crapo has bent over backwards to accomidate his neighbors. We feel that it to have the Police respond when a bike is operated on his property is waste of the Officers & Citys Budget, costing not only in the Wages but the time spent.

We also agree that to open riding to the Public should not be permitted in a residential neighborhood, but do restrict a land owners right to use the land once a week is an atrocitie of our Democratic System. Especially when on any given day during the year, people ride their ATV's, motorcycles, and even Snowmobiles on the public roads. This country was founded on the precept of Freedom and there should be a balance of rights for the neighbors and Mr. Crapo. In most cases that is how the other Cities have dealt with the issue is balancing the Landowners Right to Use the Land and at the same time respecting the neighborhood with set hours, nobody other than the Family Members could ride, and a set schedule of Days that the Family would use the Land. This has worked for Thousands of other Cities and should work for you also. I'm sure all the parties involved are ready for resolution and moving on and forward.

I hope you find it to do the right thing in this situation. Know that Mr. Crapo has many thousands of people supporting his rights and standing behind him accross this great Nation. There is a balance that needs to be met and right now the Scale has been unfairly tipped because someone in City's personal views and misunderstandings of Mr. Crapo's intentions how to use his Land.

Thank you for your time,

(your name)
God Bless America

Here are the e-mail addresses

JStevenson@laytoncity.org (Mayor)

AJensen@laytoncity.org (City Manager)

Rknowlton@laytoncity.org (city Council)

JBrown@laytoncity.org (city council)

SCurtis@laytoncity.org (city council)

SHandy@laytoncity.org (city council)

WHurst@laytoncity.org (city council)

SCarter@laytoncity.org (Zoning Director) Motocross Track Illegal
Newpaper article Jun 27th Davis Standard Examiner

Think if we had many people e-mailing them Positive Feedback supporting my rights we could get results by Strength in Numbers.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
For sure, when I typed it was kinda a little out of it. Has anyone had any luck getting a response back from the city? Some ppl in the other sites have had very good luck so far, how bout anyone from here? City has reopened the investigation of our dog being shot and is avid to arrest him, but need more evidence...anyways let me know if you get a response from the e-mail...

Thanks again,

Crapo
"strength in numbers" :thumb:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
extrememoto said:
...City has reopened the investigation of our dog being shot and is avid to arrest him, but need more evidence...

Extreme,

RE: your dog...

Just read this thread and one thing that comes to mind is that you could call the ATF since the person bragged he used a silencer. Without the $200 tax stamp, which takes paperwork to get, it's an unlicensed class III NFA weapon meaning up to 10yrs in a fed penn and a $10,000 fine. I could be wrong because I've never owned a real or improvised class III weapon but a call to your local ATF office should clear that up. People that try to use terror to achieve their ends make my blood boil.

Good luck,
Greg

Top Bottom