killeronadkx

Dec 20, 2003
Went on my first ride yesterday on my KDX220 and the fuel consumption was outragous!!!!!!! I was not getting 45 miles per tank.... Anybody out there get any better? I have not done any mods yet and there is no fuel dripping out anywhere.... Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Randy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Miles per tank (MPT) will depend on the terrain you ride, your average speed, and your jetting.

FWIW, on a stock 2002 KDX 220, I rode a 12MPH average family enduro, and switched to reserve around 63 miles. I wouldn't say it was the most efficient way to ride either, as I was plonking along lugging the bike a lot riding behind my 9 year old.

If your jetting is dialed in, may be that the carb float bowl is not adjusted properly. Could be leaking fuel out along the trail.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Lots and lots of variables involving speeds, riding styles, terrain, gearing, and jetting mainly. You will get lots and lots of replies, but the average will be between 60 and 70 miles per tank. Most KDX riders I know do not plan on more than 50 per tank so they do not have to push it in.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
John Harris said:
Lots and lots of variables involving speeds, riding styles, terrain, gearing, and jetting mainly. You will get lots and lots of replies, but the average will be between 60 and 70 miles per tank. Most KDX riders I know do not plan on more than 50 per tank so they do not have to push it in.

Poorly jetted and with a worn piston, i've gone 50 miles before running out of gas. I'm gathering parts for the rebuild now but i'd imagine that after its rebuilt and jetted correctly I should get 60-70 out of it like John is saying, but the biggest variable is the riding conditions and the rider...lead foot and all..

-Maurice

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've gotten 75 mile out of mine (200) and I've ran out at 35 miles (really soft loamy terrain in a HS) When I ran out at 35 I thought I had a problem, only to find out that about 20 other guys did the same thing.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Did you run the tank dry at 45 miles or did you just go on reserve? The H model goes on reserve very early, which is to say it has a large reserve.

I hit reserve well before a gas stop at one of the first enduros I rode on my H model after years on a 94. After that, I just started on reserve. Tank capacity is probably the only thing Kawasaki did wrong with the H model, losing*almost a gallon.

killeronadkx

Dec 20, 2003
D36-108A said:
Did you run the tank dry at 45 miles or did you just go on reserve? The H model goes on reserve very early, which is to say it has a large reserve.

I hit reserve well before a gas stop at one of the first enduros I rode on my H model after years on a 94. After that, I just started on reserve. Tank capacity is probably the only thing Kawasaki did wrong with the H model, losing*almost a gallon.
No I did not get on reserve. I just ran and did not think the reserve was very much.... I will bring some with me next Sunday and see just how far I can go on starting on reserve...
I noticed you are from San Francisco. If you ride any Hare Scrambles, maybe I will see you at the Old Crow Hare Scrambles, by the Red Neck Roosters at Carnegie Cycle Park. I rode the first one there in 1987 on a KDX 200 86 model.... It has been along time since I rode one and just could not remember how much gas it used......
Thanks, Randy

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
cicone said:
I've been riding my 1990 kdx200 for about 6 months and haven't run out of gas yet!!! :yeehaw:

Dang dude, how big is that gas tank? :eek: I got good mileage on my XR200, but 6 months without filling up?! :moon:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Dang dude, how big is that gas tank? I got good mileage on my XR200, but 6 months without filling up?! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
naw, i fill it up before each ride. just haven't gone far enough to hit reserve yet :thumb: by the looks of things, i'd guestimate 60+ easy on a full tank unless you never get past third gear.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom