firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I still plan on attending DW03, but I won't be operating at full capacity.

Last night a friend and I went out to a local honky-tonk to go dancing. We stepped outside and walked around the rodeo arena out back for a breath of fresh air, and I climbed up on one of the chute gates to sit. Some drunk guy thought it would be funny to start swinging the gate back and forth, and I fell down. Right on my formerly "good" knee. It popped, and now is SO sore it doesn't want to bend or take any weight. It doesn't hurt as bad as it did when I popped my ACL, but I may have gotten the MCL, since it feels kind of like the first time I hurt my other knee.

Due to extremely high co-pay amounts, I am not going to go in to the emergency room or urgent care, I am going to wait until I can get an appointment at the clinic. We'll see what the doc says. Hopefully I'll be able to ride at DW. I do have the braces, of course, and like I said I doubt it's the ACL. So I refuse to admit that I may not be riding in 3 weeks. I'll ride anyway, dammit!

In the meantime it's ice and ace wraps and lots of naprosen.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sorry, Sharla. :(

More bad news. . .Lemming overjumped a table at Corner MX today and may have broken his ankle. He managed to finish his moto (1st place) but his ankle swelled up immediately when he took his boot off.

He's off to the ER to get X-rays.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sharla, low risk activities until DW03!  Take care and see you and a few weeks.  I may be doing more bench racing than riding myself.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks guys. It feels a little better now, been popping Ibuprofen and icing it all day. Had to drive up to my storage unit to get my crutches and an ace wrap, though I can't bring myself to use the crutches. I hate those things. I also hate the fact I live on the second floor. I'm going to baby it so I can ride at DW! I still might have to ride like a pansy (no different, just have an excuse now) since my self-diagnosis seems to show a damaged MCL, which is what I did last year prior to tearing the ACL. I waited 6 weeks in between riding, and it wasn't enough. Oh well!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I guess you should've "gotten off the fence" a little sooner aye? ;)

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Is the drunk in the hosiptal? Because he should have his skull caved in. :p

Hope you get enough rest to heal up for DW

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Three weeks is enough time to heal to do a little riding. Just remember RICE(R)

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
RIDE

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by RV6junkie
Three weeks is enough time to heal to do a little riding. Just remember RICE(R)

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
RIDE

Already doing all that--I've been disgustingly indolent all weekend. However, last time I hurt myself, I made it worse by riding again too soon--and I waited 6 weeks. Ligament damage takes months, not weeks, to heal. I am sure that I can take it easy enough at DW though.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Sorry to hear Sharla. I am in the same boat as i had to help my uncle ( who is handicaped) back into his bed the other day. He fell trying to get in his wheel chair. I pulled my back out and can barely move. I hope it is better by dirtweek. I plan to use liquid refreshment to kill the pain after a day of riding. We will have plenty so come on over. :laugh: :laugh:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you're better for Dirt Week!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Phillip--I'll take you up on that offer

Squeakygirl--I will still go, and I will still ride, and just pay the consequences later.

I kind of figured it was only a matter of time before I did this knee in anyway--I torqued it up about 10 years ago a little (just occasional pain, probably cartilage damage) and my mom sincerely believes that we in our family have naturally weak joints and are injury prone.

In reality, we're probably just clumsy. :confused:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sorry to hear that Sharla, but even if the doc says no riding, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'm still waiting for a CDI to come in for my bike, haven't ridden in 2+ months, I don't even know if the bike will be ready before we leave but bike or no bike, I'm going! :yeehaw:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
No CDI yet? That sucks! If I'm too gimpy, you can ride the KTM, and if I'm able to ride, we can take the DT 400 if you want . . . though I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to touch it.

Can someone else who's going to DW get the CDI box and bring it with them? You should ask!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Unless they're coming from Italy.. ;)

It should be here early next week, I just wish I had it in my hands right now to be sure. Shouldn't be a big deal.. If worse comes to worse my buddy offered to loan me his KTM 400SX, but I'm sure it won't be neccessary. :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It's the ACL, MCL and cartilage, just like last time. MRI on Friday, follow up appointment to schedule surgery on Tuesday. I will still go to DW and I will still ride but my winter is screwed. I really wanted to snowboard a lot more this year. Dammit. :(

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Had the MRI on Friday, scheduled my surgery today. October 13 is D-Day. There was very little damage to the MCL and meniscus, according to the MRI, though after DW that could change . . . they will check it all out when they open it up. Lots of bone bruising and even a "non displaced fracture." Whoo-Hoo, round two!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Bummer about the surgery, Sharla. 

Does this mean you're going to have to wear your braces next time you go out for honky-tonk night?!! :confused:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
Bummer about the surgery, Sharla. 

Does this mean you're going to have to wear your braces next time you go out for honky-tonk night?!! :confused:

I should!!! I never knew it could be so dangerous!

Top Bottom