highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Anyways, my friend just bought a brand new 04 CR250 from a dealer. He rode it for about 2 hours and then had to work. So today he goes to start it and it won't start. We check the spark plug, it sparks and is clean for the most part. The gas tank is full. Any suggestions what else to check? :yikes:

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Is he using the choke? does it kick over? is the gas premixed with 2 stroke oil? is the c-o-c-k Valve opened?
i know with mine i turn on the gas, open the choke and first kick it starts.
hope it's just something overlooked
Tom

Feb 28, 2004
For the heck of it, put a new spark plug in and try it. Its possible that spark plug is fouled, even though you say it looks clean. New bikes are notorious for fouling spark plugs at first. I would give that a shot. If that doesnt work, Id bring it back to the shop where you purchased it and let them figure it out, afterall, its brand new. :cool: Mike :)

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
BBdotcom said:
C-o-c-k Valve is on the lefthand side under the gas tank
As Chili said it supply's the engine with gas
So where you turn the gas on and off, I just didn't know that was it's technical name, and it's on.

howsmydust

Nov 12, 2004
Dont know if hes brought it in yet or not but i see you are from canada so its prolly pretty cold outside. on my rm all i do is turn on the gas give the throttle a 2-3 short twists and it will start 1st or 2nd kick everytime.. make sure when hes kicking it over the piston is at tdc this would make the kicker lock in almost straight up, its the only way you can get my bike to start

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Try this.. Gas on, choke on, keep throttle COMPLETELY closed, kick. Should start. Twisting the throttle only cancels out the choke, and does absolutely nothing else because there is no accelerator pump on 2 stroke carbs.

Feb 28, 2004
I guess I was right then. :nener: Like I said, always try a new plug first, even if it does look fine. Fouling spark plugs is something we all have done Im sure. Mike :ride:

Top Bottom