Best off road bike for this situation

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
Ok so I am looking for a bike to buy before winter and want to end up with a decent offroad machine with nice low end torque, and something that I can put alot of miles on before re-fueling. I have found a really good deal on an 03 ktm 250 sx. Keeping in mind that i'm on a budget, would it be worth it to buy that and slowly modify it with the ims tank, an offroad pipe, sprocket, basically all those goodies or just buy a bike more suited like an xr. The only worry I have is that the xr would take a lot more effort to ride in tight woods riding. Any input?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Fill out the sticky at the top of this main forum page. We need more information. I own an XR400...its hard to beat in tight woods.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
yeahhh depends on your size etc... for a bigger guy an xr400 is great, but they're a totally different animal than a 250 two stroke.
that 250sx is an animal even amongst other 250 motocrossers - you will REALLY need a flywheel weight on that thing if you ride trails, 10oz. plus probably.
The 250sx will also suck on fuel compared to a four stroke...

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I like jb also had a XR400 and it is a great trail bike. I am 6' 205lbs and it was not bad as far as weight goes in the tight trails. Mine was stock and a tank of gas lasted a long time.

Top Bottom