Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Is there a way to upshift while standing that feels comfortable! Especially over rough terrain; or is it just a matter of more practice. Any tips would be appreciated.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. So up shifting while standing was hard for me at first, but I feels pretty confortable now. I just lean up a little, bend that ankle down so the foot can slide up into position, and as I lean back a little and slide the top to the foot across the shifter making the shift. Then I reposition. I try to make it one smooth motion. My might try putting the bike on a stand in the grarage and make the lever postion is right for you. I prefer mine high. One notich was to high the other too low. I would upshift with tip on the boot when hitting bumps. Anyway, after you get your postion correct practice on the stand for one smooth motion. I hope it helps.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Practice riding and doing stuff with your shifting foot, move it around take it off and put it straight out and stuff. Youll move your foot more easily if your mind understands you wont fall if its off the peg.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
make sure that your bike is set up right. a good place to start with is to set the shift lever level with the front edge of your peg.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I have this same problem too and always wondered if there was a way to change the shift pattern to one up and four down. I know that they can do it on street bikes but thats because there is a linkage in the shifter.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
I always assumed you pushed down on the shifter to shift up before i ever rode. Then i found out the horrible news and rode my cousins cr125, having to put my foot under the shifter and push up :( . It just seems like its easier to shift down then up, and you need to shift up more precisely then down.
I could make a bootleg shifting reversal hinge that falls off and doesnt work!
Or i could just post this info and see what everyone thinks and wants to do

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
The best way IMO to shift while standing is to just lift your whole foot. Look at Danmans post, he is changing his whole body position just to shift. Bending your ankle to shift while standing forces you to modify you body position some what. Shifting with your whole leg minimizes this IMO. The only thing about lifting your leg is you need to be aware of the fact that in right hand standing sweepers you will be transfering your weight off your outside peg briefly, which could cause problems if you are not aware

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
YMMV, but for me the best solution is to adjust the shift lever for the most comfortable height to shift up while standing.

This means that it's a little more ackward to downshift, but control is usually less critical while downshifting.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've found that if I'm traversing very rough terrain, for some reason it's easier for me to upshift without the clutch. Maybe it has to do with bar weighting?

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
I ride alot of desert and am upshifting while standing up constantly. I have learned from time that i dont leave my feet on the top of the pegs. I have both feet on the pegs at an angle to where my foot goes straight down under the shift shaft. Then when i shift i can just flip the ankle up and its done. I've also learned that standing like this helps keep me on the pegs and ride w/ better form more often!

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Thanks for all of the info.

I will make some adjustments, and try some of the different techniques, and find what works best for me. One more thing, while in the standing position is the "proper" technique to pivot the foot or to lift the whole leg? I do have Gary Semics' book, but my brother borrowed it about two months ago, and I don't recall them mentioning this situation in the book. Thanks.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Big Tuna

One more thing, while in the standing position is the "proper" technique to pivot the foot or to lift the whole leg?

Pivot. Very hard to lift your whole leg while standing.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
shift

Adjust your shift lever down a little. Go out and ride it, stand up and see how it works. If you still have problems, then go back and put it one more knotch down. I need to do this..I just hate putting the shift lever on and off. And it's the wrong one, the spleens match up, but I had to cut the bottom of the lever because it hit the frame...Burnt out the dremel doing that...Hehe..Ta ta.

Top Bottom