Cactus Rider

Sponsoring Member
Jan 11, 2002
Hey Guys, I'm back !

Anyone's got an opinion about tire inserts?.
Read a lot about Bib Mousses, no one seems to sell these however.

Having a flat every weekend
:p
I ride on very sharp coral rock ! eating my tires too:uh:

Mxracer510

May 7, 2000
Sounds like your a perfect canidate. But there is one disadvantage to the bib. It wears out too...and they are a bad thing to put in the tire. The way you have to look at it is...if your getting enough flat tires that you can save money and alot of time by just going ahead and buying a mousse.the best thing to do if you get one would be to take it to your motorcycle shop and have them put it in with a tire machine. Alot easier that way.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The bib mousse tire inserts are ment for off road riding only and will start to disintegrate with speeds over 60mp/h I belive, due to heat build up. Be fore warned.

Mxracer510

May 7, 2000
That over 60 mph thing is when it is continuous though. Thats why people who ride baja dont use them. But with normal use you can get about a year or so out of them. Again..it comes down to if you think it is worth the moneys worth for a year of no flats. As for your tire issue..i would recommend getting a MH2 from michelin. Ive thought those tires worked real well in rock.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
The bib mousse tire inserts are ment for off road riding only and will start to disintegrate with speeds over 60mp/h I belive, due to heat build up

??? This sounds weird. The guys in the Dakar Rally reach speeds of 185km/h (116mp/h) in high heat conditions (Sahara desert). The Bib Mousses do fail occasionally but not that often though. I think Michelin did most of the development for the Dakar so maybe run what the guys in the Dakar run ?

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
There are a couple of down sides to mousses, first they are expensive and usually hard to get as not many tire dealers (none that I have come across) stock them. They are also harder to change than a tube but if you aren't racing this might not be an issue, they don't do well with sustained high speeds they melt and fall to bits, that is why the aren't used in the Australian safari, and the last point is that they don't last all that long, about six days is the max you will see out of one before they start to fall to bits.
On the plus side you don't get flats. If I were you I'd get the heaviest tubes I can and run one of the slime type tyre sealants.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Nope six days is normal use. There was a guy at the aussie 4 day they held here last year that turned up with a 3 day old Mousse, halfway through the 2nd day it started to fall to pieces. Admittedly he was one of the fast guys but it was bad enough that he risked swapping a wheel on his bike. He was caught with the wheel change and disqualified as a result.
If you think a mousse is a good idea for joe average trail rider it's probably just a really good way to waste money

Cactus Rider

Sponsoring Member
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks for your replies guys,
But I'm completely confused now !

I run my YZ 250 on top speed ( about 60 mph indeed) for 2 hours in a row.
(than the bounderies of the island are reached)
Take a 30 minute break and do the same route in reverse.
The environment is desertlike, tropical hot !

Don't know if this would change anyone's opinion..........
:think

Mxracer510

May 7, 2000
Ahhhh i would recommend you away from the bib mousses. They would last about as long as a regular tube would last ya. I would steer ya more in the direction of some slime or somthing to that nature along with some hhhhheeeeeaaavvvvvy duty tubes

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
When I ran them they always felt like the tire was a little low on air. I wouldn't spend the extra money. The time and effort to change and the dollars to do it make it not worth it.:( Just run heavy duty tubes and slime.

Top Bottom