Bullwinkle

Aug 25, 1999
I am thinking of putting on the Mike Lafferty series exhaust system on my 400EXC. I ride enduros and an occasional desert race. The sound limit in Washington is 98dbls, Does anyone know what to expect as far as noise level and power/torque gains. I E- mailed Big gun and they have not replied.
Thanks for any replies.

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi,

I run the John Dowd system on my 520. With the quiet core I have appr. 95dB and no problems yet with european noise restrictions (94dB for enduro, 98dB for motocross).
Nice system but they could take more effort in welding.

Peter

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
I run the Lafferty and suggest you run this system with a modified quiet core by removing the button shaped restrictor which is spot welded to the flange end of the core. It seriously affects the performance having it in place. I removed it and it helped alot, but did not sound any louder. Of course, my ears are not an accurate dB meter, but I feel it will pass the 98dB you need no problem as it sounds a little louder than a stock EXC pipe.

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
Run the stock pipe. The USFS is now checking every weekend here and will be writing tickets soon. They don't even bother to check a stock KTM, but will check every aftermarket pipe. The Ranger told me the Feds will be expecting revenue from tickets, so expect strict enforcment soon.

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi,

here's an official statement from a dealer:

"We discontinued the big gun systems. The last ones they sent didn't even fit on the bike."

I also had problems with the fit of a system (a hammer helped a lot). BG claimed that this is related to KTM.
But the system works good....

Peter

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
BG did have a serious fitment issue last year, but they have since redisigned the pipes fit. When I installed mine, I had the very first pipe sold with the new design and slapped it on no problemo.

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi,

Originally posted by Unit74
BG did have a serious fitment issue last year, but they have since redisigned the pipes fit. When I installed mine, I had the very first pipe sold with the new design and slapped it on no problemo.

Sure that they're working on it but this message came in yesterday with brandnew Mike Lafferty pipes.
I'm still using my system but I need a FIM legal end cap and BG is not able to meet these requirements.

Peter

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Don't know what to say other than it is possible they discontinued them awhile ago maybe? The new pipes were not out till early February and all the ones they had made were already sold. I live not to far from BG and have been there quiet a few times and talking to them about the pipes and am happy with the fit and finish of the one I received. Service after the sale has been good as well.

Top Bottom