eddie1

Oct 17, 2007
the drain bolt on my rm250 the head completly snapped off and there is about half the bolt still in the trannycase and it below the flush point of the case by 3mm.

what do i do? I can't and Don't have the money to replace hle casing or spend lot of money to get it retapped.

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
you take out your entire engine,drill it out tap it with some left thread (the opposite side of your current thread) and turn a little screw in and simply turn it out. and sorry im from belgium i dont know how you call a left-sided tap :p. or you could try to weld something on the bolt so you can turn it out...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xkevenx said:
you take out your entire engine,drill it out or you could try to weld something on the bolt so you can turn it out...

I would recommend taking it to someone that tig welds and do what xkevenx said. Weld a bead to the broken part of the plug and drop a small nut on the bead and weld it to the bead. Then, using a wrench or socket on the nut, unscrew the plug. And you won't have to remove the engine, just lay the bike on its side.

Be sure to use a tig welder since they weld very clean and don't produce spatter. Wire welding will produce spatter and clog the threads making it hard to remove the plug.

If you try to drill a hole in the plug for an easy out, the drill could catch in the metal and screw the remainder of the plug into the gearbox. If that happens, you will have to split your engine cases to remove the plug.

The reason the head snapped off of the drain plug is most likely the over tightening of the drain plug and not using a new sealing washer when you change your oil. When you use a new sealing washer, (crush washer) you don't have to over tighten the plug to seal it. Go to your local dealer and buy a handful of new sealing washers for the next time. They are very inexpensive and can save you a lot of trouble.

Just my $ .02

eddie1

Oct 17, 2007
got it!!

went to sears bought a screw remover set...drilled a lil hole inthe middle of the bolt n within 5 minutes of work the bolt is out n bike was running again in the enxt few minutes.

thanks

Top Bottom