TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
is it a good idea to blip on every jump?? i got my first tme on a mx track yesterday...

broke my collar bone... i went over the biggest jump on the track (cleared it perfectly):) and i was going waay to fast and was gonna overjump so i let off and ovioously forgot to blip, and over the bars i went, then comes the bike which happens to find its way to me and slides on top of me till i stop and can get away...

but other than that, it was a good day... i cleared all the jumps, railed all the turns and the whoops were awesome... i did nose dive an awefull lot tho.. so back to the question... is it a good idea to blip on EVERY jump?

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
i got my first tme on a mx track yesterday... = trackmaster?????????????
:p
depends on your body bosition and the atitude of the face of the jump. Choping ghe throtle right before the face is almost always a bad idea. It loads the front and shifts your weight forward, loading the front even more. This usually leadt to a front end dive. The amount of "blip" is something to have to learn. GOOD ADVICE- the first time at a track don't be foolish and go for the biggest jump when you're not ready for it. go slow and work on your skills first. watch and listen to how others are jumping a jump, and if possible fall in behind someone who is consistently clearing it and pace them. This will give you a good starting point.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by yardpro
i got my first tme on a mx track yesterday... = trackmaster?????????????
yeah yeah, i know i know. i figured id get it for that, but oh well:D

We rode the track ALL day. And it wasnt untill the very end that i finally did clear it. We got there at like 10:30 and I crashed at about 5:00. So, I was starting to get pretty comfortable with the jumps. It was pretty much a begginers track too. Most of the jumps were tabletops or dropoffs, there were a couple doubles too.

I had jumped before at friends houses or my house. We built jumps and stuff, so I have had some experice jumping. Most of my crashes were in the corners, as I havent had much experience in them. I finally got so I could do the whole track in 2nd and 3rd gear. The biggest tabletop Im pretty sure I hit at 2nd pinned. It shot you waaay up in the air, but it was only around 50 feet long. I cleared it, and as soon as you land you have like 7-10 feet from the landing to the next jump. The next jump was small, and could be cleared at at idle with a blip in 2nd. I let off so I wouldnt overjump, as I would have cased it on a berm right after the landing.:eek:

Also, the riders there were constantly pushing me, which is good as it pushed me to ride harder and faster, but I guess I should have worked on bliping it too.:o I worked on hitting the jumps and going verticle, then hitting the rear brake to level myself for a good hour. I was keeping up with the mid-front pack C riders by the end of the day.:) So if I keep it up i might be able to live up to my screen name by the end of the next couple seasons;)

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
50ft jump in 2nd gear? what kind of bike are you on...you had to have been revving the crap out of it. i usually keep a the throttle on the whole way over a jump, depending on the face. if the jump has a large run to where i can get too much speed for the jump, i'll let of at the base of the jump and then blip the throtttle as i lay the bike over to stay a little lower. i dont understand why you were nose diving if you were hitting the jumps in such a low gear, unless you were letting of on the faces or were way too far over the fron of the bike. also you might want to balance your suspension, back end might have too fast of rebound therefore kciking it up...im not a suspension expert though so anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Actually now that I think about it, I wasnt revving that much on the first one.. I must have been in 3rd then shifted to 2nd for the next one. Its still kinda hard to remeber, I sure can remeber the crash right after it though.:confused:

Im riding a rmx250, wide-ratio tranny. Thats why Im using lower gears. My buddy was on a cr250 in 3rd 1/4-1/2 throttle and i was keeping up with him in 2nd 3/4-wfo. Seems to like being revved for some reason, it must be the pipes or reeds or something..

The big jump has a huge take off. You hit a lip, the ground drops, and then you get a nice little jump that launches you out of it into a corner. It looks exactly like an inverted tabletop. After you come out of the corner, you have a ton of straight to get speed for the jump. Thats why its so scary, it gives you too much time to think about whats gonna happen when you crash:eek:

I wasnt letting off on the face.. I let off before i got to the jump and then gas up it, standing so my head was about even with the bars. Also, I didnt change my clickers, I had them set so they would rebound fast and get thru the whoops and shoot me out of corners better. That prolly had somethin to do with it..
Thanx, keep it comin guys

Last edited:

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
sorry to hear about the collarbone, i broke mine at a race about 9 weeks ago and it still isnt healed enough to get back on the bike. good luck with a fast recovery

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
sounds like you did pretty well, just watch out for peer pressure. and NEVER say " hey guys watch this".;) Just keep practicing. Aslo did it have a kicker on the edge? If so the definately blip. I dislocated my shoulder and tore my rotator cup because of a no blip off a kicker tabletop. laso ask the guys how it jumps. The ones making it smoothly should be able to tell you about it, and again lotsa practice. good luck
almost forgot, most of the injuries I've seen happen at the end of the day, when people are tired and want to to "one more lap" or " try one more jump". They're tired and get out of position and don't realize it until it's too late.

Last edited:

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
YoT - thanks, doc says no riding for 7 weeks. So i guess im done for the year. But now its supposed to snow tommorrow, so i dont feel so bad.:cool:

Thanks guys for your help. I guess when I heal up, ive got all next season to learn and practice.

Top Bottom