Wev

Mar 4, 2002
I have a '00 KDX220R and have just purchased some Boyesen pro series carbon dual stage reeds. Do i need to rejet the carb, if so does anyone know which size jet to get. By the way, the carb has been bored out to 36mm.
It would be good to get some info on this before i put them in to save time afterwards.
Thx in advance
Wev

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jetting info is generally included with reeds from boyesen. Commonly a bit leaner. Certainly won't damage anything running the way it was prior to reed change.....not due to carburetion, anyway.

Sorry...not a specific answer to your question. Generally a good idea to list what your jetting IS before getting any recommendation as to what to change it TO.

Wev

Mar 4, 2002
hehehe Sorry forgot to say, dunno what size jet i am running now but i'm pretty sure it is standard.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Best is to put the reeds in leave the jets you have and do plug chops.
That way you can see how the bike is running over the different throttle positions and adjust to suit.
canyncarvr is right,Boyseen tend to make the bike run a little rich you will see this in the plug chops.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As I'm sure you've read over and over already, in stock form the kdx comes pretty rich. If your bike has a bored carb, I'd assume SOMEone has messed with the jetting in it, so would NOT assume it to be 'standard'.

You have to know where you are before you know where to go. Plug chops as dazza said, and throttle response are the only way to know what's going on.

Oh...that's plug chops with the proper heat range plug. Conventional wisdom has 8's a bit too cold for the late model kdxs, a 7 being closer to 'correct'.

Jet to an 8, and you'll be running too lean!! I'm jetted to a 7, but RUN an 8.....mainly cuz ngk doesn't have a fine wire in a 7 (or so several parts types have told me).

Top Bottom