97KDX

Jul 6, 2003
Hi,

I'm new to the site and just want to say it's GREAT!

I have a 1997 Kawasaki KDX 200 and appear to be having some carburetor issues.

I’m kind of waking the thing up from the dead. It sat for over 3 years and wouldn’t start. (There was no spark)

So I recently did some minor work on the bike like replaced the CDI, manifold, petcock, fuel lines and added fresh fuel.

The bike starts right up now, idles “ok” but when you hit the throttle it’ll just bog down in and out (kind of like someone stuttering) I then pulled the carb off, did a thorough cleaning, reinstalled and still had the same results.

I’m in search of the carburetor adjustments for this bike to see if they are setup correctly and was wondering if you by chance knew what they are or where I could find them.

I did pull the spark plug and it’s pretty wet and black, so I guess it’s running too rich???

At this point I’m assuming it’s either the carburetor settings or a bad coil. But before replacing the coil I figured I’d start with the carb settings.

Any help greatly appreciated!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Welcome to the site:

A couple of things:  Change your name unless you never plan to ride another bike other thatn a KDX.  Put some thouhgt in to it.

Go to the justKDX website and read the section on carburator jetting as well as other items on that site.  There is a lot of good information on there.  Also read through the FAQ threads in this site and do some searches.

Replace your plug and check the compression on the bike to make sure that it's in good operating range.  I see that you are starting off with fresh fuel - that's good.

What jetting is in the carb right now?  What modifications (if any) have been done to the bike or is it bone stock?

Let us know how things turn out.  THere is a good group of guys here - we'll see that you get the KDX back to peak performance!  :thumb:

97KDX

Jul 6, 2003
WOW, what a quick reply! Thanks!

(k, I'll come up with a better name!)

I'll check out the JustKDX webste and lookup the jetting.

Sorry, I forgot to add the bike is bone stock.

I'll keep you posted on my findings. Thanks again!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Another word of advice - once you get a name registered that you like i reccomend becoming a subscribing or support team member of the site (to give back a little). 

Tell us what your new name is unless you decide to stick with this one.

http://www.dirtrider.net/members/subscribe.html   :cool:

Also - fill out your profile to the point where people can tell about where you live as you may find out that there are some of us who are very experienced with the KDX who live right next door to you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom