JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I have only been riding about a year, and I bought a pair of O-Neal Elements for $79.99 when I first started riding. I guess they served their purpose, but are absolutely torn apart now. I would like to stay in the $150 range if possible. I know this won't get me Tech 10's or anything, but is there a decent boot in this price range? Main thing is metal buckles since pretty much all the plastic ones on my Elements have broken...grrrr.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
My Tech 5s have plastic and they have lasted like iron. A-stars are very decent, protective, comfortable,... My son picked up some O'Neals for $69 and they seem decent..???

The one thing that gripes me is, back in the early Pleistocene when I was just starting out, MX boots were WATERPROOF. Apparently they went the way of my pet stegosaurus.

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
I have Alpinestar Tec 4's and they have held up great for over 7 years now. They are comfortable break in fast and are only about $160. They do have plastic buckles but mine have held up great with no problems.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I agree with rubbersidedown the Fox Trackers are decent however as like most economy boots they feel like ski boots until broken in. My son loves them cause he can feel his break pedal better than
other pairs he's had.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I had a pair of Fox Trackers and they chuncked up only after a few rides. I went for AXO RC6's and absolutely love them. If I could do it again I would buy the ARC boots from Rockymountain.com that have the hinge on them like the SIDI boots. After years of purchasing cheap boots I will never do it again. With $80 boots and even the Fox Trackers I thought to myself that I couldn't see how more expensive boots would make a difference. Well they do!

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
The ladie friend and I each picked up a pair of SG1's from Royal Distributing for $199 a pair, the website says $299 on the page, but the price changes to $199 on the check out page

jonny

bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
Boots

A friend once said "I found a nice helmet for 69 bucks". I said "Is your head only worth 69 bucks to you?"
This also works for boots. Just how much are you ankles worth to you? A more expensive pair of boots will last longer, are easier to get resoled, and have better support in the ankle. Pinch an extra 50 to 100 bucks and buy a quality boot. You can get a Tech 8 for about 250. Tech 6 is nice too and cheaper.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have a pair or Thor Quadrants and can't figure out how to shift with them on. The toe is too tall. If I raise the shifter I fear that I will accidentally downshift, so that isn't an option. My son has a 2 year old pair of Astars and has had no problem with the plastic buckles.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Have you seen these ARC boots in person? I have been looking at the pics for awhile and can't decide if they are made well or not. They look alot like the old MRobert plastics boot fro the early 80s.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Yes I have seen a pair of the ARC boots at Loretta Lynn this past year. Unfortunately it was at the riders meeting though and I didn't get a chance to ask the guy how he liked them. They looked to be in wearing well from what I saw though.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I would go try some on if I were you. The best boot in the world for me might be agonizing for you to wear. I have a fat, flat foot so a boot that's comfortable for me would be completely diferent than one for somebody with high arches and narrow feet.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I have already decided that I will not mail order the boots. I agree that what is comfortable for me, may not be for someone else. I guess the plastic buckles are ok, just not on the Element boot. I appreciate all the input. I will probably go try on the Fox Tracker today. We have a Cycle Gear that has them on sale I think.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Alpinestars are a nice boot. I've got Tech 8's that I bought in 1998. They are about worn out. When I buy new, I may go with Tech 6's. We bought a pair for my son and they are just about as nice as the 8's. No booty though. They are close to your price range. My son could definately tell the quality of this boot as compared to others. We had actually bought him a different boot, but they were to tight around the calve. The Tech 6's gave the additional room that I think most everyone would need with knee/shin guards. My next choice would be Fox Trackers. We had a pair of those for my younger son and they are really nice.

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
kmccune said:
Have you seen these ARC boots in person? I have been looking at the pics for awhile and can't decide if they are made well or not. They look alot like the old MRobert plastics boot fro the early 80s.
I have a pair of the ARC Boots ( I dont work for Rocky mountain) and I love them. I too came off of Elements. It has taken a few rides to get used to them, but I love them. they feel like tennis shoes, (comfort wise) compared to the elements. the only problem I had, is that I almost lost one of the Hinge bolts on my first ride. I just took them out, and re loc-tited them, no problems since. soles are holding up nicely with very little wear. Not bad considering all of the rocks here in AZ.

I too was worried about mail order, but ive had great luck with Rocky Mountain, and knew that if I got them, and didnt like the way they felt, or were the wrong size, that id be taken care of.

The sizing was right on (11s for me), and there is enough strap, and the top is big enough for my elephant calves, shinguards and riding pants. with more room on the strap...

At $159, I think you get more boot than other comparably priced boots..

~RR

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I do believe that Alpinestars are the best quality. ( I still wear a pair of mid 80s pair from time to time.) I'm looking for price vs wear and the ARC LOOKED the part. I think I'll get myself a late Christmas present :)

Top Bottom