Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I'm trying to get use to riding motocross (rode trails mostly). And I'm having trouble bringing the front end down on the downhill jumps the track has. Tapping the back brake only seems to level out the bike, which still makes me feel unsmooth on the landing. Do I need to lean more forward and push down on the bars or what? :think

KXsteve

Apr 10, 2001
I know that when i'm jumping, I'm usually going way to fast for my level of skill, and backing off as I approach the jump certainly drops the front wheel :eek:

Steve

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Make sure your standing and leaning forward when youre jumping. You should be pretty close to level if you do that and hold steady throttle. Then in the air, if you still need to bring it down, hit the brake and lean forward and push on the bars.

And KXsteve's method works great too!:p

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
These are all good ways to get the front end down,but be careful to try these things a little at a time.You don't want to find out (too late) :scream: that you went too far.You want to land with the rear wheel slightly ahead of the front on downhills and on the gas right as you hit unless there's a corner right away.Using throttle control on the take off and leaning slightly forward is the proper way.If there is a corner shortly after you land,you should try and land slightly front wheel first and lean back right before you land so you can brake hard and not wash the front end out.Start out trying this stuff at a slower than normal pace until you get it down,because you DON'T want to crash on a dowhill!!

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Don't know a Gary Galligher, do ya?

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
picture yourself in a boat with out a paddle, you can move the boat by a jerk of your body weight. same applys here.

put your bike on a stand and rock it back and forth. all you are doing is shifting body weight.

If when you jump you find your self turning into a statue thats the ticket. losen up and let your body weight move the bike. I see alot of people lock up once they leave the jump. If you feel thats could be it Practice making the bike move on small jumps.

KTM520Man

Apr 27, 2001
This works for me to get the front down. Kind of squeeze with your ankles and lift your feet. This takes the weight off the rear and puts it on the front. You can just lift your feet and have it work too but then your feet are off the pegs for a bit and for some this is a bit scary. But it works fine if you are comfortable with getting them back down.

Top Bottom