broke thing on my kickstarter shaft

cr250

Oct 28, 1999
Ok I was riding (96 yz 125) hit a couple trees and all of the sudden my kickstarter won't spring back up and itwill kick forward...bike still ran so rode a little more and then checked it out...I had to take my case apart and loot at the shaft...at the end of the shaft is a gear and then a spline...around the spline is a ring with a projection on it...my guess is this prevents the kickstarter from going forward...ok so the ring is broken and is weldable...so my question is when I get this welded is there any particular position it goes on (I forgot to look when I took it off)...and what is this piece called ...is it available somewhere as a seperate part...I could only find the whole shaft and the ring is pressed on I believe. THanks
VAnessa:think :think

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
you can find out the name of the parts as well as the prices for your bike at this link
http://216.37.204.205/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaDB.asp?Type=13&A=110&B=23
I believe the protrusion you speak of is on the actual kickstarter shaft. As to your question about its position I'd get a service manual and see what it says. Good luck.

cr250

Oct 28, 1999
Hey thanks...I appreciate the info...The picture was in my manual...same diagram and I guess I'll just get it welded and see. The part was a lot cheaper online than from a catalog. Thanks again!!
Vanessa

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
no problem, happy to help :)

30&Dirty

Jan 16, 2001
That part is called the kick axle assembly, only reason i know this is i broke four of them on the 125. They are not that expensive to buy new because eveything comes off the shaft except for the stop that broke. You will also need the cover gasket and possibly the seal where the axle comes ot of the the side case. good luck it's easy though.

cr250

Oct 28, 1999
Thanks but welding it worked great...I have a race next weekend so we'll see if it holds up...now all I have to do is figure out my clutch...
Vanessa

ben.handasyde

Jan 28, 2004
Yz kickstaryer problem

when i kick my bike over the kickstarter didn't come back up you had to pull it up manually. I replaced the spring then put it all back together and know it seems to be stuck down worse than before please help. what is wron?

Top Bottom