Broken collar bone? Stubborn friend.

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
WOOHOO! The bone is healing up now that he has this brace and wears it 24/7:) So he wont be needing the sergury. I hope he heals soon, he is the only person i know that rides and i havent ridden since 12/9/01.

How long did it take you guys to get back up to your pre-accident speed again?

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by KDX220rm
That knot will be permanent unless the collarbone is put back in place. I know several people that just let it go and the bone fused together edgeways rather than end to end.

I have one of those bumps. Mine was broken in two places and I had some ligament damage. However, as with most, it healed without surgery. One break was at least half an inch. It took awhile, but the bones finally bridged it. The doc said sugery would only be necessary to get rid of the bump at the cost of making the bone significantly weaker where the screws went in.

Although going to the doctor probably was the smart thing, all I got out of it was that back brace someone mentioned, several x-rays to look at and a week's worth of pain pills for a several thousand dollar bill, which insurance didn't pay for over a year.

James
00CR250

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I broke mine in '00. Was racing again in 5 weeks - but wasn't really back to speed for about 2-3 months. But the time was more of a confidence/mental fix than physical. I did wear the figure-8 brace religiously and it healed very straight - you can hardly tell that I broke it.

But my fiancé (Red) broke his in '99 and it took about 3 months until it was kinda healed and he could ride again. He didn't wear his figure-8 brace too much and it STILL hasn't really healed. The bones overlap on top of one another and flip back and forth when he moves his shoulder like this: (ignore the .'s)

------
...------

...------
------

So every break and person is different to heal up.

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
It will probly take me a year and 3 months to get back to speed. A year to get the plate out and three moths to reheal from the surgery. I can ride now but I know how weak the bone is with 9 holes drilled in it. If anything it has made me focus more on control and proper technique. I never plan on it but I ussually hit the ground pretty hard a couple of times a year. I cant afford to do that with this tissue paper bone.

Top Bottom