Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm about to buy Tigger a new bike. I can get one from OK for MSRP, no tax and no prep if I go this route. If I buy locally, (in TX) at 1st they wanted a lot more to the tune of $400 over MSRP. I managed to talk them down to roughly the same price plus a few other fees that they aren't willing to void. The only thing is if I buy out of state what happens to not being titled in TX? Do I need to retitle for TX when I plan to resale? Do I pay taxes at that time?
Just trying to see if it's worth while to go out of state to save on fees up front that I will end up having to pay for anyway at a later date.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
If you are buying a new bike, you will get an MSO, not a title. You will then register the bike in your state. It's just like if you bought a car from another state..... You should be able to get one under msrp including prep, and all that bs...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't know about TX, but in SC we don't have to have a title to own (or sell) a dirtbike. Technically, if you buy it out of state and don't pay sales tax, you are supposed to then pay the sales tax in SC to get a title for it here.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
jeff,
just get the mso so it can be titled later if needed. in texas they collect the sales tax at time of purchase because most dirtbikes arent titled. i have owned 8 off road bikes throughout the years and never received a title. it does make it easier to trade in and or sell if there is a title just because the buyer knows the ownership history and the peace of mind that it isnt stolen. several of the bikes came with mso's and one just had the dealership receipt. i know mx547s bikes that i have bought in the past only had a dealership receipt with sales tax as part of the bill. my last kx that i sold to an individual resulted in a phone call from a dealership a year later. the buyer of the kx wanted to trade in the bike and the dealer asked me a few questions and that was it.

Top Bottom