jackpot44

Dec 13, 2007
Hi there,

Im looking at buying a new bike (dirt bike) but seem to be in a bit of a pickle when it comes to choosing what type. Im looking at a second hand one, because new ones are rather expensive.
The problem is, that i notice models that range from 1990-08 for a 150 to 250cc are around $2,500 and a half too $4,000... These prices are from many different sources such as the Trading post, ebay etc (Private sellers). At times though, ive seen advertisments in the Trading post advertising 150-200cc dirt bikes for around $1,500-$2,000. Brands such as Thumper, Wolf (ZONGSHEN Engine), Atomik ProX 250 etc. Which are 2005 onward. Is there some thing significantly different about these bikes compared to the likes of Honda and Yamaha etc that i should no about, which is the reason that these prices are so different? Or is it simply because these other brands are not as well known as the others?

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
There is a tremendous quality difference between the well-known brands of Japanese bikes and the Chinese bikes.

The no-name China bikes are a tough call, particularly for a new rider. This is because they are often delivered needing work, and people new to motorcycling rarely know how to do the work themselves. In addition, parts can be difficult to source, and the typical novice is not capable of fabricating parts when necessary. That said, the Chinese bikes, when they work, provide a low cost introduction to motorcycling and a cheap way to see if the sport is for you.

If you search on the popular internet message boards, you will find lots of threads about the China bikes. My take on them is that for an experienced tinkerer, they can be fun. However, if you want a bike to ride rather than work on, you should probably stick with the Japanese bikes. With a relatively new Japanese bike, you'll be able to get a service manual, there will be professional mechanics who can work on them, and you will be able to get parts.

If you are even considering a Chinese bike, I assume you are looking for a play bike that will never (or at least rarely) see a track. In that case, look at used XR200s. They are usually available for less than $2 grand and have an excellent reputation for reliability and longevity. Also look for used CRF150s, CRF230s, Yamaha TTR 225s and 230s. Any of these bikes should be available used for a price similar to a new Chinese bike, and they are a safer bet in terms of being durable and reliable.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
It sounds like you are new to bikes, in which case, I would stay away from any Chinese brand. And in all honesty, I can't really think of a reason for anyone to buy one other than a cheap asking price.

Consider getting one similiar to what your friends have. Beyond that, get one that is under your budget. That's because you are buying used, and because of that your going to have to fix something (tires - chain and sprockets - piston...).

Top Bottom