gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Got your attention? Good. Now how many of you are or have plans to attend DirtWeek 2001 (click for info)

As it stands now, I have tenative plans to fly while my bike and gear are trailered out with some other members. I almost have to go now just to prove to Okie that I can to get out of first gear! ;)

This event was an absolute blast last year, but the number of female riders was slim (about 7 I think). I would REALLY, REALLY encourage any women to try and make this one at all costs. It would be so wonderful to have a strong female showing.

Now I know some of you are probably saying to yourselves "it's too far". Rubbish! I drove all the way from Santa Barbara, CA last year! (recipient of the farthest traveled award).
If "I don't have a vehical to put my bike in" is your excuse, h-e-l-l-o! 380excman will have no pity for you. He stuffed his bike in a Dodge Neon for goodness sake!
You have kids? Bring em! (just don't ask me to babysit! ;) ) There will be plenty of other kids there. Just keep a close eye on your little girls. Twinnie's little one is trouble with a capital T and Gomer's tike is a real lady killer! ;)

Seriously, if there is any hurdle, hang-up, obsticle that is keeping you from coming please post it here. I am willing to do just about anything to help any woman get to this thing that wants to. Maybe others can provide a solution as well.

Come on ladies! Let's show our numbers at Dirtweek 2001! Register HERE

Check out the pictures from last year here http://www.dirtrider.net/photobook/imageFolio.cgi?direct=1_SpodeVision_-_DRN_DirtWeek_2K or look at the Spodefest 00 album on my picture page. I can even send you the “unpublished” ones in you’re interested. ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
As much as I would dearly love to do it, I don’t think I can swing it. I am starting a new job August 1 and it’s bad form to start a new job and immediately ask for a week off. Plus, it is a long drive—and a new stereo for my pickup would have to be part of that cost because there is no WAY I’m driving that far without tunes. I’d fall asleep. A hotel—and what would I do with my bike?—would add to the cost, but I don’t own camping gear at the moment, so either way, there’s more money spent. I don’t know of anyone else from the NW who’s going so that’s a looonnnng drive with no one to talk to. With one other person, we could drive straight and switch drivers. One person with gear and bike and stuff would fit in my pickup (standard cab Toyota) but two is pretty tight.

What route are you taking, GSR? Would our paths cross anywhere so we could caravan part of the way?

I really want to go but it’s just not looking feasible!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I'm not driving. Like I said "tenatively" the plan is for Kiwi, TTRGuy and 1 or 2 others (space available) to drive TTRGuy's truck towing Kiwi's Toybox trailer. They would drive straight through. I believe it's a 36 hour drive. I will fly into Chicago and drive down to DW01 with AJ.

I haven't asked her yet, but I was hoping sgr would want to get in on that. ;) Augi, e-mail me if you're interested.

Let's see, Sharla's problems:

New job - You don't think the boys at BBR would let you go to a dirtbike related function? Tell em you'll pimp their stuff all over the place. ;) This event if full of their customers for goodnes sake. :)

Long drive - post your wishes to go in the DW01 forum. There are bound to be others in your area that would like to go. Teaming up with others will definitely cut the costs. Plus it's a great way to meet more DRN members. :)

New stereo - well if you ride share with someone this may not be an issue. Drag that crazy cr500 ridin' blonde with you! If you have to drive your truck, hell, I'll mail you my Diskman cd player!

Hotel costs - didn't you say Steve has a trailer? anyway you could take that? can't Steve go?

Camping gear - don't need it if you have the trailer. No trailer, arrangements can be make. Lack of camping gear is not a huge issue. Heck, did you see how many people offered up their stuff for Michelle in the event she could attend?

Anything else? :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hotel, schmotel. And miss out on all the after-dark activities? :scream:
Rent a FunMover from CruiseAmerica.com See if you can find a few people to split the cost with you. Camper and bike hauler on wheels. No muss, no fuss.

What to do with your bike? Why, bring it! DRN has control of the grounds. Plenty of people left their stuff overnight. No worries there.

And speaking of Michelle... Hello! I know you're watching! Got those plane tickies ready to go?? :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sorry, blonde moment, you did say you were flying.

Not sure about BBR yet. I don't want to march in there and start making demands like a prima donna.

I'd rather stay in a tent, I'm sure I could find one, that's not as big a deal. I'd need lanterns, sleeping bags, a little bbq or grille or something to cook on too. Time to go shopping. Are there showers at the campground? Even the quarter kind? I need to wash or nobody will want to hang around me after riding.

I checked out that thread a while ago--I don't think there's anybody coming from my area. 380EXCman in south Idaho is the closest. We could probably meet somewhere. So nobody else close to drive with or split rental costs with.

The stereo is on the list but I've been waiting until I move out of the ghetto or I'll be replacing it again. I am just going to buy a cheap $100 Audiovox or something, maybe they won’t want it.

My Toyota wouldn’t tow a trailer—Steve’s is an enclosed 2-bike trailer. I don’t think I could get out of the drive way. And I would not want to feed his convertible 69 Bronco (10 mpg, unloaded, going downhill) all the way over. As fun as it would be to drive . . . :)

Bbbom, are you and your clan gonna make it? I hadn’t heard that you said you were so I assumed not . . . if so, we certainly could caravan. I could take a rugrat or something in my truck to keep me awake. I’m sure Kayla could keep me entertained for hours . . . ;) I could teach them naughty songs and jokes—oh, nevermind, I’m sure Karl already has. :p

I’m still daunted at the drive. 40 hours, according to Mapquest, is a long way to go by myself. No other northwest DRN-ers have mentioned they’re going so I think I’d be the only.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Firecracker you get your hiney up here and I will bring you a tent (will sleep up to 4). I will also have a small gas grill and the stove is on the outside of my camper. Gotta bring your own sleeping bag and pillow but I can help out with other essentials (besides hairdryers or makeup mirrors:confused: ). And just so you know this isn't a come on from an old pervert my wife and son are going with me.
As to BBR just tell Duane you need the company truck so you can bring all those goodies we all are dying to see and buy:cool:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
A come-on from a old pervert?

FC, you can have my KDX220 for the event if you decide to fly in.

I have some other stuff you might be able to use.

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lori, when I read "have you got the tickies organised' you don't know
how close I was to phoning an airline & booking some then ;) But then
reality set in :( I know I have to organise myself to come over to
meet everyone I can, so the spodefest would be the best bet, but
hopefully with enough time to visit some others who couldn't make it.
AJ? offered a tent, so you women who live over there with no tent etc
as an excuse, don't use it as one, someone will be able to help - all
you have to do is ask. No money or holidays, these I understand :)

Sharla, aren't BBR sponsors of the event again this year? Now, are
you sure the shop is open then? lol

Honestly, watching the threads last year & then seeing pix of the
event, I really wished I could go - definitely a great time had by
all. I just wish my husband didn't need a new bike or that he was
rich (I opt for the second option). I definitely encourage all the
women who can to go along. It does help promote us, and I know a
couple of women who had never really been interested in riding before
the last dirtweek (then named spodefest), did become interested.

Sharla, they are organising some sort of shower, but I know people
all chipped in last year & went to a motel for showers last year, so
don't panic, the guys won't smell bad for all the event ;)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I plan on attending Thursday & Friday :confused:

Red & I will probably drive down Wednesday night and head home either Friday night or early Saturday morning (then head to Byron, IL, for the state championship on Sunday)

If anyone needs anything - I'll do what I can to help!! Just let me know!!

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I would be all for going BUT I would be in my last week of the quarter (finals and Final Projects due). I would get out on Friday at 2:30. Now then I would be making a 2000 + mile round trip (most likely alone) for a Saturday of riding. That is a lot of money to spend (when money is tight) for just a Saturday of riding. I understand a lot of people would be there that I would want to meet and it would be alot of fun. I would rather make it next year when I could stay longer and funds are more available and I would have a buddy to go with me.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Honestly, Will and talked about going. Then we found out a bunch of Texans are coming up here for a spodefest around the same time. 'Gotta show our hospitality and all. And I'll be trying out the trails on the new addition to the family... a Suzuki DR200! :)

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
I'm thinking a great trip would be to take a month and just cruise around hitting riding spots around the US.
I was thinking of doing the same thing next year. I am starting a new job this spring that ends for the year in september. I would like to hit Glamis, Nevada desert, Idaho, Washington, Coos bay Oregon etc.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Aimee,

We don't have any excuses. We will be there, we just have not yet figured out which days to take off of work. Probably friday and come down thursday night and leave saturday afternoon. On Sunday Bob is racing in an Ottawa Hare Scrambles. We have oodles of camping gear in case anyone needs anything. We also live about 60 miles south of Chicago in case anyone needs a stopping point to spend the night. Just let me know. We will definitely be there, and I am trying to talk the other ladies into joining us! It should be a fun weekend!

Anne

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
At this point, I'm a maybe. I'm talking to John to see if we can swing a little time off from work. I work for my family and they hate the fact that I ride, so asking off to go riding for a few days probably won't sit that well. Oh well, what are they going to do.....fire me;) .

I'll talk to John and see what we can work out. Tent or rent a camper? How about some opinions on the subject.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Neely, I talked to Lemming, Timr, and KDXFile about renting an RV at Indy and driving it over to Casey. (CruiseAmerica, about $400)

Don't know where that idea stands, but I'd be just as happy doing the tent-trash thing.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I don't think I'll make it after all--I looked at the calendar and dirtweek is about the same time Langtown will be. :( Maybe next year--and we have the Reno SF and the NWSF too!

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Originally posted by gospeedracer
I'm not driving. Like I said "tenatively" the plan is for Kiwi, TTRGuy and 1 or 2 others (space available) to drive TTRGuy's truck towing Kiwi's Toybox trailer. They would drive straight through. I believe it's a 36 hour drive. I will fly into Chicago and drive down to DW01 with AJ.

I haven't asked her yet, but I was hoping sgr would want to get in on that. ;) Augi, e-mail me if you're interested.

Sounds very tempting but I have already made too many unplanned trips this year. I put next year on the schedule.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
You all seem to have other things going on (all of these excuses... no vacation days at work, college finals, 36 hour drive ONE way, etc... come on :D ) what gives??

I was really looking forward to meeting all of you... oh well - I guess "NEXT YEAR" (as you all say) :confused:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I should know for sure next week. We're going to look into renting a motorhome tonight.

DirtWeek is unlike any other local get together (NWSF, Reno, or NY 'fest). Take those mini-fests and multiply by 100. There is no comparison. If you make one event this year, DirtWeek is the place to be!

Top Bottom