mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
You guys might remember mr from my "Yup...another YZ 250 problem for me". Well it turns out i'm still having problems and even my Yamaha shop can't figure it out. I've busted 2 kick starter shafts and cracked 2 right hand case sides. Luckily Yamaha is footing the bill but they can't figure whats going on. I'll start with the assembly procedure and just see if anything is out of the norm.

First, after its all dissambled and i am replacing the whole shaft assembly, I line up the stopper on the shaft with the stopper piece on the motor. Then, I coil the spring clockwise and slide the spring into the hole. I then procede to put everything back together.

Now for the fun part.... I kick it over with just enough force to get through the compression of the motor (which there is alot of) and it kicks back. I'm not too sure what could cause this?? I pulled the plug so i could kick it over with ease and nothing catches when i do that. It just seems that when its under load it whats to kick back and that is when the shaft breaks and cracks the casing. So if the is any experts out there who have any idea WTF is going on, please let me know. AS it seems all the Yahoo's at Yamaha have no clue. :bang: :bang:

It sure is a piss off when it have hardly ridden my 05 Since march and the 06's are out in 2 months..... :( :(

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Wow......that's a strange one. :think:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I thought the same thing Marcus. Does the bike run fine otherwise mxr_69?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I wonder if the flywheel has slipped. My YZ uses the silliest keyway ever known to man. It is very easy to slide the flywheel on with the keyway out of position.

Being they took you motor apart, this sounds possible.

If you solve it, please let us know what was wrong.

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to ask the shop to look at that. They are the ones who took it apart. BUt yeah...the bike run fine otherwise.

Any more help would still be nice seeing i have to figure this out today so ican race tomorrow....so nice that this stuff always happens to me. :bang:

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Well the mechanic is still clueless. He said maybe someting with the CDI is screwed up and messing with the timing.... not too sure how i feel about that one. Maybe i should hold a 50/50 pool to bet on how long it takes for these idiots to figure this one out. This way maybe i can at least make up the money i lost in depreciation for my bike sitting in the shop all year. :) Any takers? :think:

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
I just got news todays from Yamaha. I guess the flywheel and the coil have to be replaced. I guess the timing was off a bit. Another 600$ bill for Yamaha. This brings the total to 3100$ CDN PLUS LABOUR!! This is just getting out of hand here. Oh well, only one more month and this puppy is going back for an 06. Hopefully this is the last fix, but knowing my luck.....it won't be. :yikes:

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Hopefully they will. They are pulling parts from an 03 tomorrow. This weekend should be a write off.....about 2 hours on a bike in 3 weeks....it won't be pretty.

By the way...who are you?

jonesy

Jan 31, 2000
I'm you're hero, don't pretend I'm not, everybody already knows it! :laugh: :laugh:
Oh, by the way, I still say if you had bought a yellow bike, you wouldn't have these krazy problems. :nener:

Top Bottom