Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i let the air out, undid the rim lock nuts,, i got two tire irons and a bead buddy,,
I can get about three inches of the tire over the rim, but after that, everything is so stiff and tight i cant get any more of it over the rim... what am i doing wrong?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to push the opposite side of the tire(opposite to where you are working)into the well of the rim-really push the sidewalls of the tire into the rim-this gives you more slack to get the tire off.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Tip: use a heat gun to warm up the bead it will make is easyer to streatch over the rim.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Question: Why don't folks just cut the sucker off? Seems like it'd be way easier to grab a pair of tin snips & have at it. (I'm always looking for shortcuts).

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by zio
Question: Why don't folks just cut the sucker off? Seems like it'd be way easier to grab a pair of tin snips & have at it. (I'm always looking for shortcuts).

1. Because taking a tire off a rim is not hard if you do it properly.

2. Those suckers are tuff. Just try cutting one off and you will see what I mean.

3. What if you want to put it back on later? Lots of times riders change tires for different terrain.

:yeehaw:

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
What kind of tire irons are you using?  Those cheap Motion Pro's bend easily and are too short to get any leverage. :think: If you think getting it off is hard, just wait till you get to that last 6" when putting one back on. :eek:  I just got a new tire iron from Terrycable that is 18" long and heavy duty.  I haven't used it yet but it has to be better than those short Motion Pro's.  I'll get that sucker on there this time. :p   I also agree with heating the tire up some.  If it's cold, it's going to tear the bead rather than stretch.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Put a 5/8ths threaded rod through a workbench with a bolt on the bottom. Put a wheel on it and tighten it down to hold.

Directions are here on this site somewhere, but I was almost at the point of NEVER changing another tire again on the garage floor. 10 bucks and 10 minutes later and I did both tires the first time in an hour, completely easy....

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I don't mean to be the kill joy of all things fun and wonderful. But, I find it much easier and faster to take the wheel off, place it firmly against the back of my truck, tie it down and drive it to the local shop. Where for only $20(less than those tire irons your buying), 15 minutes, and one cup of free coffee later i walk out with the old tire in hand and the new one on my rim. Just my thought!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by Midhigh
Where for only $20(less than those tire irons your buying)

Then again you spend $20 bucks a tire for the next 10 years, while I spent $30 six years ago and not another dime since. ;)

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Smitty

Then again you spend $20 bucks a tire for the next 10 years, while I spent $30 six years ago and not another dime since. ;)

You have me on this one. But, is your time worth nothing? to me the time spent and frustation of taking the tires off and putting them on is well worth a 20 dollar bill once a year.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Once you ge the hang of changing tyres its not very hard-the key points are good levers and technique-a bit of tyre soap and pushing it into the well and its quicker than chaning gearbox oil on a thumper.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
But, is your time worth nothing?

I'll bet I can change two tires faster than you can take one to your nearest dealer and get back. To me fixing, and maintaing my own equipment is half of the fun. I suggest you learn how it's not that hard.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I hate changing tires. It sucks. I bothered to learn it because...1 Mail order tires. I bought a new Dunlop 756 from Rocky Mountain ATV for under 100.00...front and rear. My time is worth soemthing, just not 60.00 for 1/2 an hour.

Second, I want to be able to deal with a flat tire. Two tubes from RM are 15.00. I keep them in my van. This would save a ruined riding day for myself or someone else.

You ahve to use soap to get the bead slick enough to slide over the rim. It is much easier that way. I use windex if I am not near a sink.

Give it a shot. For me, it is easier to change a front tire. The front really is not that bad. Practice there and try a rear.

I also hate changing Michelin tires. The diameter appears to be just slightly smaller than anything else, or they are stronger. I just know I swear a lot more if it is a Mich.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Sorry, one more thing. Those Milk crates that stores leave out for us make a fairly decent holder for the tires while changing. You can also carry gear in them. I hear they work well for 1 gallon Milk jugs, but have no knowledge of that. 7-11 is my favorite place to shop for these. What happened to the metal ones? They were strong enough to hold a bike!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Ok, I will bow to all those who change their own tires. As for me - I will continue to take them to the shop and enjoy my coffee and talking shop while I wait. By the way, if it's worth anything at this point. Tires are the only thing i've taken to shop.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Midhigh, what do you do about a flat tire? If there is a better way than changing/patching the tube, I am for that! It is not as if I like to change tires. Coffee is much better!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
To make a long story short. As a kid (back in the day 1970's) I was the one Dad made help him change all his tires. I grew up, thinking when I was on my own - "I will never change another tire as long as I live". I carry a small fix a flat can to get me back to trailer. I must admit, however, most of my riding is done on a track and not in the deep woods. So a flat is most likely just a 100 yard push. I do have the tube changed with every new tire, and have that green slim put in them as stop leak. I just can't get over the flashbacks from my childhood and holding those irons as tight as I could while my dad worked me and the tire over. It's not really a better way, I just hate doing them my self.

jdrucker

Oct 4, 2002
I dont know which shop you go to for tire changes, but it should not cost more than $10. I will admit that I do change my own tires, but not by choice. Often we will ride a track one day and dunes the next, so at a moment like that I am glad that I know how. If I have the opportunity to pay $10 and just wait 10 minutes while the shop does it, that works for me too.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Mid, how does the slime work on the larger MC tires? I use it on every mountain bike I have and I think the stuff is excellent. Is it as good for motorcycles?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Rcannon
Mid, how does the slime work on the larger MC tires? I use it on every mountain bike I have and I think the stuff is excellent. Is it as good for motorcycles?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Rcannon

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Rcannon,
Knock on wood, I have yet to have flat. And I pull out stickers and the like all the time. I asume the green slim inside the tire is working.

Top Bottom