Heliarc

Aug 13, 2005
Hello all,
I'm new here and noticed some people have some experience with Huskies.I have a 1982 430 cc.Runs like a champ if you push start it, but I cannot kick it over for the life of me.I talked to an older fellow that has a dealer and raced for a long time.He only deals in Husqvarna and KTM.He says to try choke on/off, throttle open/closed and all combinations of the aformentioned.I've tried it all until my leg felt like it would fall off.No luck.I had a 500 Huskie before and had no trouble starting it off the kicker so its not like the left hand kickstarter is the problem for me.If you push it down a hill it usually takes right off, sometimes I need to choke it but nothing else.I checked the spark and it seems a little bit weak(dull and orangish).The carb seems ok to me but only because I ride it and it runs fine...hell, it runs like a cat shot in the ass.

Oh yeah, also warm or cold it wont kick.Only push starting does it.

Sorry this post is so long :blah: Please help I cant trail ride like this

Heliarc

Aug 13, 2005
Oh crap yea, sorry.2 stroke, good thing you mentioned it.I'll go right now and tear the carb off and have a look.Now, reeds I dont know much about so am I looking if they are sticking a little open, I dont know if they should shut tight or not.I can look for obvious cracks or breakage though.Be back about half an hour and Ill tell you what I see. Thanks RM

Heliarc

Aug 13, 2005
Ok I got the reeds out and they seem to shut tight.If I blow through them backwards they actually make a noise like a reed in a woodwind instrument.I cant see any obvious problem with them.I cant blow through them the proper way so I guess it they're doing the job.Maybe they dont seal when the motor is being turned over???I have no idea.Whats next doctor?

Heliarc

Aug 13, 2005
Never had it apart.put a compression tester and it has excellent compression however.Even to kick it over it feels great.Also when you pop start it you really have to jump down hard on the seat to deafeat the compression so I dont think thats the issue.Thanks tho, any other ideas?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
If reeds are good and comp is good, check the spark plug after trying to start. Is it wet or dry? If wet your pilot jet may be to big, if dry to small or idle set to low for starting. Many 2 stokes need to have the idle bumped up untill they warm up even with choke. Its also possible fuel is leaking into the motor and causing a ritch or no air flow condition under the crank.

Top Bottom