carb work - overflow leaking, jetting, etc

Powerlock25

Jan 21, 2005
guys, just tore apart carb.
It was rather clean. Sprayed it down anyways. I was planning to rejet because the bike runs rich and fouls plugs every other ride. Found out that the 1st owner had a 40 pilot and a 145 main. A swapped the 145 main to a 142 and lowered the float level (from 18mm to 19mm). Checked needle and it looked great. Bolted it back together. and turned the gas valve on. Fired on the first kick - which made me smile, whew! But I noticed later that even in an upright position, fuel was leaking from a overflow tube. Fortunately it stopped soon after - hopefully permanently. What did that mean? Did the float just get stuck? weird.....

Anyways, anyone running their bike this lean at 70 degrees Fahr and 500 feet above Sea Level?
Austin, TX
1998 KDX220R
Gnarly torque and airbox mod

Last edited:

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
I think you hit it on the head, float just got a bit stuck as the bowl filled up from empty. I've had to sometimes whack mine with a screwdriver to get it to stop after an empty bowl condition.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I run the same jetting on my 220, but I have a torque pipe with the air box lid opened up. My needle's on the second clip. A/S at 1.25 turns or so depending on weather etc.

A rev pipe will require slightly richer jetting.

Top Bottom