sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
On my 99 rm250 the chain masterlink broke making the chain whip the casing and breaking it some. I got it welded so it doesn't leak and it holds up fine. Is there anyway to completely fix it so i can put a new sprocket/chain guard on it so i dont have to deal with this again. The bike is is perfect condition besides that so it kinda bothers me. Any tips on this.
Thanx

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i cant be the only one this has happened to before. OR CAN I??? All the smart and knowledgable people on this site and no answer to this??? lol just kidding, would be nice though if i could get an opinion on this

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
sick 96 250 said:
I got it welded so it doesn't leak and it holds up fine. Is there anyway to completely fix it so i can put a new sprocket/chain guard on it

sick 96 250.

Any good aluminum tig welder should be able to build up the sprocket guard and case saver mounting bosses and re-tap them for the mounting screws. If they are completly gone you can machine a couple of aluminum stand-off's and using the case saver as a guide, weld them into place. I would recommend using a 6061 series aluminum for this.

This happens a lot, especially when you let your chain and sprockets get too worn or adjust your chain too tight.

Just my $ .02

'Ol89r

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Ok good stuff, the info i was looking for. The top bracket for the guard is still there but the bottom one got snapped. Although it is still there the bolt is broke of in it and a little got broken away but not much. I was looking at it today and i might be able to get that bolt out and make an adapter so it fits correctly without having to re-weld.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
no you are'nt the only one that this has happened to.My 2000 RM 250 had the same thing happen,I had to buy both cases so they would match.This would be a good time for you to learn how to do a bottom end,my 00 was my 1st bottom end.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I can do a bottom end, i just dont want to :laugh: Just looking for a simpler yet effective way to fix this

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Figured i'd start this up again, my neighbor has a buddy who does tig welding and said he would bring his van over and fix the case. Its nothing major, but it seems when the bike warms up the original weld just isn;t fully doing it so it drips a little. I read somewhere that i need to disconnect all my ciruits like the cdi and everything. Do I just need to unclip the harnesses or do I have to remove them completely? What all needs to be unhooked or removed. I got a new case saver and made a bracket for the bottom one that snapped off and it bolts up perfect so I just need to fix this little leak. Any help would be awesome.

Top Bottom