A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
Just wondering, what kind of chain lube do you guys use?
I've used all different kinds of lube. from the spray on Chain Wax, to bering grease, but it doesent seem to last very long! (maybe 20-30 min.) Chain is..., was, fairly new, about 10-12 rides on it.
I ride 1-2hrs at a time. Mostly trails, but all types of conditions.
light mx-steep hill climbs-high speed-etc.

Any recomendations?

'98 KDX 200 & "91 KDX 250

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
I just spray on Silkolene Chain Lube before every ride and at pit stops when riding all day. If you ride in a lot of sand or mud, pull your chain off and let it soak in WD-40 for a few days. Blow it clean and then reapply lube before the next ride. That lube holds soil particles that will wear your chain's pivot points. As for replacing, I just replace chain and sprockets when I start breaking sprocket teeth. Hope this helps.
Collin

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
IMHO WD 40 works great on my O ring chain. After I wash the bike I spray generous amounts of WD 40 on the chain. I have about 1500 miles on the chain (over one season) and it's still good but I will replace in about a month as sprockets wear.

crazzykaw

Jul 9, 2001
"but I will replace in about a month as sprockets wear"
Sprokets don't wear if the chain is not stretching. Because the chain is meant to fit in the bottom of the teeth "more contact area" and the chain streaches from wear caused at the pins and bushings it begins to ride up on sprokets reducing the contact area and putting extra strain on the upper and weaker parts of the teeth. Clean proper tensioned and properly lubricated o-ring chains should last very long. You will probably find that with any amount of decent riding you can not keep the chain lubricated enough so i usually change the chain at least twice to a set of sprokets.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
sprockets wear weather or not the chain stretches
wd 40 will not hurt o-rings but dose not last long
bar and chain oil is just thick engine oil meant for constant
application such as auto luber on chain saw plus very messy
kal-gaurd chain lube last the longest but messy
new pj-1 supper tacky chain lube seems to be perfect

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
super tacky chain lubes just attract grains of dirt and sand that help to wear down your chain and sprockets that much quicker. Also, how bloody hard is it to clean properly?!

I use a light oil fortified with teflon (military spec CLP). yeah, it flings off but the way I see it you just need to keep the joints free and let the internal lube do it's job...

works for me, i replace cxhains about once per year, and I race regularly...

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I follow the instructions that came with my o-ring chain . . . lightly spray with WD-40 to keep the o-rings supple and prevent rust. I don't use chain lube, the o-rings seal it out and the grease in.

David

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I use WD-40 as well. Don't care if people say it wears down the rubber in the o-ring, seems like folklore to me. I use before and after each ride and after washing before putting in garage til next weeks ride. I ride weekends at the cabin so mine sits for 1 to 3 weeks at a time between rides and WD-40 works just grrrrreat. Stuff ain't cheap, but if you shop around you can find specials at car shops or Wal-Mart type places.

my .02

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I use WD40 to clean and for water protection after washing. I wipe the chain prior to lubing with Honda "O" ring chain lube. It doesn't attract dirt, fling off, & has molybdenum, which the guys from Advanced Tech say is good for chains, sprockets, & rollers. I'm told that pro motocross teams other than Honda use it as well.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have tried chain wax (hated it) and many other brands. I like Bel-Ray's super lube with zinc oxide. Doesn't throw off nor attracts dirt and sand. Safe for o rings.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Just got MX Racer in the mail. They have an article on chain maintenance this month. It says you need to use a "Penetrating Lube" such as "WD 40" on o-ring chains. It also says DON'T use conventional chain lube on o-rings, it will grab dirt into the o-rings.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not too many opinions, 'eh?

On o-ring chain isn't going to be affected to a chain lube's intended purpose......you aren't going to get any lubricant INTO the chain..just ON the chain. Anything that keeps it clean (doesn't attract junk) and keeps the o-rings pliant will do.

My last o-ring chain (aluminum rear) lasted for about two years..4500 miles. It wasn't (actually isn't..it's still on!) primo by then..but I've only adjusted it twice..and that included 3-4 trips to the dunes.

I use (forget the name) some teflon stuff that's in a black can.

My riding buddy's chain didn't fair nearly as well. We ride together most every weekend, same trails, same distance...get 'there' not TOO far apart. Don't know why that would be.

Oh..and chains don't 'stretch'. They do 'grow'..but just cuz they wear out. Yeah..semantics ;)

A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
Thanks 4 the post guy's !!
I'll try the wd 40, and maybe the bel ray super lube.
I think I'll buy an o-ring chain next time!
I agree. The - chain wax - brand sucks!
Any opinons on "the best" O-ring chain 2 buy?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
On an o-ring chian it doesn't really matter if you use teflon or not. They are greased at the factory and sealed with the o-rings. You just need to use a good penetrating spray to get between all the parts and keep the rollers and stuff from rusting.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
There are friction surfaces not protected by the rings. The rollers rub the bushings, and also the face of the sprocket teeth. To a certain extent, but not effecting length, bushing plates rub on pin plates.
Also chains rub on the guides. Most guides are made of high molecular weight plastic, but they will wear and even the mfg's of such materials will tell you that lube helps to eliviate wear even on material touted as non-lube.
O-rings do in fact hold in lubricant around the pin inside the bushing. More than likely it's oil instead of grease. Even filled with grease, it tends to soften to an oil state quickly.

What you use to clean your ring chain is as important as anything. A harsh chemical will tend to either dry out or swell an o-ring, neither of which is a good thing. Some lubricants are harsh as well, but with the integrity of the rings that mfg's use these days, just about any lube is safe for o-ring chains. Just as safe as the WD-40. Yes, solvents can and will harm o-rings, but not unless they are subjected to the chemical for long periods of time. Usually most solvent lubes will have the carrier evaporated before they can damage a ring. Plus if there is a sufficient oil left, it will help to keep the rings fortified. The worst thing you can do is clean your chain with a harsh chemical and let it sit. Once a ring drys out it will seek replentishment from wherever it can get it like a sponge.
If you aren't giving them adequate lubricant, they will get it from inside the bushing/pin area behind the seal.

Contrary to popular belief and even published in some credible articles, yet incorrect, is the myth that chains don't stretch they just wear. They DO and WILL stretch. This is usually seen at the very first rides. This is due to the plates actually elongating. It's very minimal change, but a change indeed. That is why some of your better chains today are "proof stretched" at manufacturing to eliviate early adjustments due to stretch.
Any legth change after the intial stretch period can be attributed to friction surface wear.

And, sprockets will not, and do not wear to a noticible change without chain pitch growth. There may be a bit of change in the seat of the sprocket between teeth from rubbing the rollers, but any hooking or pointing of the teeth will definately be from chain wear showing itself on the sprocket. (This can't be said true for big monster bikes with soft aluminum sprockets)
IMHO, WD-40 is a bad choice for a penetrating water dispersant. It only leaves a little silicone behind to serve as a lubricant. Now, as some have mentioned before, there are lubes fortified with teflon that you can spray on and they will not only serve as a great water dispersant but you will be left with the benifit of a good lubricant, although the lube tends not to stay too well.
The very best lube you can use on any roller chain is a penetrating molebdenum disalfide based fluid.
Dry-film moly, as it's called, is very thin and will penetrate and clean all of the reachable friction surfaces while leaving a treatment of lubricating solids. Lubricating solids are far superior to film carrying fluids such as petroleum oil. Not only will moly carry a superior load, but can handle shock load far better than petroleum films. Offroad specific brands of moly dry-film will contain anti-sling additives as well to help keep the lubricant in place even at high rpm's. The most noticible thing about dry-films are how clean they are. They usually have the consistancy of water and can be wiped off with a rag leaving your chain looking like new, while providing unsurpassed protection inside as well as cleaning and fortifying the o-rings. End result is a happy chain that gives you long life, and is as easy as rinsing off with a hose to clean. Dry-films were designed originally for an industrial setting where the attraction fo dirt and grit can't be tolerated. They fit our sport perfectly.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I use wd-40 as well, always have. I HATE the chain waxes, or the super sticky "non-fling" sprays. After washing, I put it on a stand, run it in gear, and spray the links top and bottom really good, and run it for about 30 seconds to work it into the chain.

gonzodog

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2001
Jaybird - Good analysis and information.

The o-rings on o-ring chain are made of nitrile rubber so almost any type of straight petroleum oil will not affect them significantly. Brake fluid, alcohols, silicone oil and other polar solvents would not be good however.

Most chain lubes I have used in the mud we ride just collect and hold additonal abrasive sand and dirt on the chain links and rollers therefore increasing chain and sprocket wear.

I like your suggestion on dry film lubes. Graphite works great on my throttle tube. What brand/make of DFL are you using?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom